Saturday, August 4, 2018

Lost

Image result for immigrant lost

In another piece written by one of my students, a young teenage girl from Guatemala writes about her harrowing journey from Central America to the United States. Freshly arrived, she wrote this as an essay in Spanish and translated it via Google translate.  As I read through the piece in my editing stage, I thought it read more like a poem.  To me, it captures the inner struggle that these children must face and the constant fear they endure during their voyage.  Check out Lost...

I am a Guatemalan with dreams of overcoming my problems
My trip started on December 4, 2017
With a prayer to God to take care of me on the way
There I left my childhood, my family
To come to this new place
With a lump in my throat, I said goodbye

Time progressed and with each moment
I was moving farther way from them
Two days by bus, we reached the border with Mexico
We crossed at night, in fear, ,among so many strangers
We arrived, locked away for two days until finally they came for us
A truck, ready to start crossing the desert
They dropped us at 3 A.M., 
with nothing but backpacks, water and a garbage bag
To protect us from the cold and the rain

In the morning, we were separated into three groups
Told to look for the famous line with guides who "knew where we were"
By the fourth day, we were all supposed to meet again
Unfortunately it was not meant to be
What happened to the rest of the group, I do not know
The guide went back for the rest, leaving us
On our own, to get to that line
I know he feared something would happen to us too
But he left us anyway, to walk through the desert on our own
Two days, no water, and the fatigue was surely fatal
The only thing we had was to ask God
To give us the strength to follow on
I don't know whatever happened to my travel companions
But I wish them the best since their decisions weren't easy either

As always, thanks for reading.  Stay tuned for more...

2 comments: