Wednesday, August 1, 2018

I Was on a Paris Train


The sadness first hit me as time wore on towards the end of another wonderful day in Paris.  It was Saturday, and anytime I made any sort of mention of the end, Amy wouldn't have it.  Goodbyes are always hard, and I'm sure they've been especially difficult for her in the nine years since she'd moved to Switzerland.  I understood that, and I tried my best not to bring it up, but then Sunday came too fast and suddenly I was packing to go home and the reality that the end was near really started to settle in once David started explaining how I would get to the airport on the train.

My trip to Europe was one of those special times I will always remember.  Almost all vacations are good, of course, but in the grand scheme of things there are certain ones that just stand out, and this was definitely one of them.

I'd started my trip in Amsterdam, a city that I always wanted to explore on my own (I'd only been there before on school trips with lots of kids.), and I loved it.  The rest of the time was spent with Amy and her husband David in Lausanne, Switzerland and then Paris.  Amy and I graduated from Stony Brook together (She teaches ESL, too!) and though our interactions since graduation had been sparse, when we do, she and I always connect like the old friends we are.

I'd last seen Amy back in April, when I visited Lucerne, Switzerland on a school trip.  Like before, she invited me to come visit on my own in the summertime and that's just what I did.  I'd never met David before, and when I arrived, I shouldn't have been surprised that he was as genuine a person as Amy was, very warm and welcoming.

For the last ten days of my stay in Europe, the three of us got on so well.  Amy became my tour guide to the Lake Geneva area while David worked, and the three of us spent lovely evenings together just chatting and enjoying each other's company.  Once we'd reached Thursday, David was officially on vacation and the three of us headed off to Paris, where for four days we spent a magically spontaneous, adventurous time.  And then there was Sunday...

David and Amy accompanied me about three quarters of the train ride to Orly Airport in Paris.  David carried my heavy luggage up and down stairs through the Paris subways, one last act of total sweetness.  We switched trains in Chatelet and on the RER we were going to part ways about four stops before my destination.  As we stood there in the crowded car, getting closer to their stop, none of us really looked at each other, avoiding the sadness of parting.  Soon, it was time for the two of them to disembark.  The train stopped and each of them gave me a knowing hug and kiss goodbye and then they stepped off the train.  Once the doors closed and they were out of sight, the tears finally came.

I want to take a moment to thank both Amy and David for their hospitality, their time, and most of all their friendship.  I will take the memories of this wonderful time with me as long as I have time on this Earth.  I am sure that after this trip I will see them both again sooner rather than later.  I love you both! 

Image may contain: 4 people, including John Myers and David Glaser, people smiling, people sitting and indoor

Stay tuned for some European vacation stories and pictures...



      



No comments:

Post a Comment