Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Weekend in the Woods, Part I

I've been trying to write this post for four days now...

This past weekend I spent an amazing 27-plus hours deep in the woods of Pennsylvania with some very awesome people.  The little mini-trip was courtesy of recent friends Peter and his boyfriend Drew and included my pals Manny and Ozzie and their friends David and Ricardo.  Peter had rented a log cabin in a place called Damascus, Pennsylvania to celebrate his and Drew's 1 year anniversary and he was kind enough to include me in and I am so glad I went!


The idea of the trip was first brought up to me by Manny over a month ago and until Peter asked me himself, I hadn't even planned on going.  Though I know Manny and Ozzie very well, the rest who were going I did not.  I've always been somewhat reserved and shy around people I don't know, but I guess that was the old me because I did go, and even though I was a little nervous at first, I actually had a lot of fun.

Damascus, PA

Where were we going?

That was a really good question, actually.  Until a couple of days before the trip, I only knew we were going to a secluded part of Pennsylvania, but I was still a little sketchy on exactly what that meant.  Peter sent out messages earlier in the week that gave me hints, but I wasn't sure exactly still until I arrived.  Damascus is located in the northeast corner of Pennsylvania, only a few miles from the New York border.  The area is decidedly rural, with pastures and silos, dirt roads, creeks, wooden bridges and all...and it is simply beautiful!


Wow, A Real Log Cabin!

The three-turned-five-hour trip (traffic!) to PA was well worth it.  I've never been to a log cabin before, and what I'd imagine one to be like was not this.  This place was amazing, and that's putting it mildly.  State of the art everything, eclectic decor, and plenty of space to play in.  The cabin was located on a hill among seven-plus acres of wooded bliss, with two lakes, trails, and the beautiful oranges, reds and yellows of fall foliage as a backdrop.

Take a look...outside...








Gorgeous, no?


...and inside...


  The living space

A lofty dorm area where I slept...

  The kitchen and dining area



A Panorama

The Company

I was the last one up to the cabin, having had a prior engagement here on Long Island the night before.  The other guys got there on Friday and so they were already relaxed and enjoying the cabin and its surroundings for 24 hours before I got there, but after getting a tour from Peter of that beautiful place, I was right there enjoying it with em..


.to be continued...there's so much more to tell!


No comments:

Post a Comment