Monday, March 3, 2014

New Wave Month - I Miss My MTV

I Want My MTV!



Remember this commercial?  Yeah, well that was way back when MTV meant what its acronym stood for. I don't think I would recognize the channel anymore if I ever watched it, which I never do.  Ah, well, they should have made a new song to replace the Buggles' Video Killed the Radio Star when YouTube took over the video watching market.  


Anyway, without MTV, new wave music probably wouldn't have taken off like it did.  Some of those videos of the early days were truly a little kooky, but they were fun at the same time.  Here's one that you probably don't even know, but I know it only because of MTV and my mom, believe it or not, who for some reason loved this video from one hit (?) wonder Wall of Voodoo:

Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio from Luis F. Alonso on Vimeo.

And who could forget this one, which was a little bit more popular than the previous track?  Bow Wow Wow's I Want Candy was a one hit wonder that resonated so much that it was remade, quite sadly, by Aaron Carter.  The cheesy production and the even cheesier performance by the band in the vid (buried in the sand, bopping their heads to the music) is so typical of the era.  Check out I Want Candy:


Alas, these videos can no longer be watched on good old MTV, but thank goodness for YouTube, DailyMotion, Vimeo and others because now we can watch them whenever we feel like it!  Stay tuned to John's World for more New Wave Month.

No comments:

Post a Comment