Friday, June 28, 2013

Flashback Friday Pride Week Song of the Day - Another Man - Barbara Mason


Here's a song from 1984 with a kinda unique story....well, for its time anyway.  Check out the first couple of verses and you'll see what I mean:


Do you remember when I said
she's got the papers and I've got the man

But the man that she had, that I took from her

Is not the manchild that we thought he was at all

Caught in the middle I don't know what to do
What can you do when your man is untrue
There's another man oh baby
in my life (in my life)
He looked very normal till I opened my eyes
The man I loved and married loves another guy
There's another man (Another man) in my life
Oh in my life, Oh ah


Yes, poor Barbara!  She just realized her man was a friend of Dorothy and she just doesn't know what to do.  Ooh child!  Anyway, this is a problem that's been plaguing women probably for centuries, and all they've needed to do all along was open their eyes, like Miss Barbara does here.


I had gone out one day and bought me a very, very sexy dress

and opened up my closet and it had dissapeared

Lord I hope the man is not wearing my...oooh child

And I also pick up other little things

like you and I making love the other night

I thought he was calling out my name
but it evidently it was not my name

And I passed him on the steps one day
And he was switching more than I was
And I even caught him holding hands
walking right down market street
we all know what market street is


Mm, hmm, sista knows what time it is.  Anyway, this sort of thing happens even today, and in a couple of the cases I know of personally, it's hard to believe the girl had no idea.  I mean really?  It's a shame that such people don't have a clue!

Anyway, throw in some funky, bassy beats and a catchy chorus to this one and you've got one funky 80's tune with that lil bit of humor thrown in for good measure.


Another man is beating my time (Another man is beating my time)

Another man is lovin mine (Another man is lovin mine)

Another man is beating my time (Another man)
Another man is lovin mine (Another man is lovin mine)

Anyway, click play below and take a listen.  It is quite good and quite funny, too!





Pride Weekend!  Get out there and show off yours!


No comments:

Post a Comment