Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Song of the Day - By Your Side - Sade

Today is June 4th, a date that will be etched in my memory until my last breath.  You see, on June 4th, 1987, I met a guy named Joe and we ended up spending the next 20-plus years of our lives together.  I remember that day like it was yesterday.  As with any other loving partnership that'd last for that long, Joe and I had been through a lot together, good times and bad, happy times and sad.  We took vacations together to Italy and Aruba, Bermuda and Florida. We bought our first house together.  We laughed and cried together.  We spent countless times just enjoying time with family, with friends, and with one another.  And this was our song.


It may sound like maybe I still pine for Joe, which couldn't be further from the truth.  No, we've been apart a long time now and those feelings no longer live within either of us.  But luckily, we're still fortunate enough to have each other in our lives and my time with him will always have a special place in my memory.  So it is with this ballad I give acknowledgement to a significant time in my life and look back with a smile.



By Your Side is one of the most beautiful songs I think ever recorded.  It speaks of the ultimate devotion that comes with love, and it coincides perfectly for me with this date that was once so special and now brings me to a happy place in one of the distant corners of my mind.  Click play and think of someone with whom you might share or have shared these sentiments with...and smile!  Happy Hump Day, too!

     

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite songs of that decade, and definitely one of my favorites by Sade as an artist. AND it's personal to me, as well, for a very similar reason.

    ReplyDelete