Wednesday, June 1, 2011

W is for so many songs...

In a stark contrast to the letter “X” where there was very little to choose from, the letter “W” offers many of my favorites from the world of music, from great songs to great albums and even some fantastic artists. It’s been hard to choose from amongst all of the possibilities, so like I did with the letter “B” on the way down, I’m going to do the same with the letter “W” on the way back up…

W is for so many songs…



W is for ‘Waka Waka’



I posted this one as “Song of the Day” way back on March 2nd and it’s shortly become one of this blog’s hottest posts. I’m including it here because it’s become one of my favorite songs since I first discovered it a few months back because it’s both inspirational and fun. Check out the original post, with the video right here.

You're a good soldier
Choosing your battles
Pick yourself up
And dust yourself off
Get back in the saddle…

The pressure is on
You feel it
But you got it all
Believe it

When you fall get up, oh oh
If you fall get up, eh eh
Tsamina mina zangalewa
Cause this is Africa

Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) [The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Song] {feat. Freshlyground} - Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) [The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Song] {feat. Freshlyground} - Single


W is for ‘Walk Away’



‘Walk Away’ is a Donna Summer song off of her classic 1979 album ‘Bad Girls.’ The song has always been one of my favorites and it’s kind of sad, but with a great musical track that’s pure disco through and through. I found solace in the song not long after my recent breakup…

I'm sure that I'll get over you
It'll take me a while you see
Next time, there won't be no next time
Save all my feelings for me


And I’m truly getting there! Check out this great, great song:


Bad Girls - Donna Summer


W is for ‘Walk This Way’



The year 1986 was a monumental one in the world of music. During that year, popular rap trio Run DMC recorded their own updated version of Aerosmith’s classic rock anthem ‘Walk This Way’ and history was made. The song married the two genres together for the very first time and propelled rap music into the mainstream forevermore. The hit record also became the catalyst for the resurgence of the rock band, whose popularity had been lagging since the turn of the decade. Check out the video for the remake, with Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler and Joe Perry joining forces with the trio from Hollis, Queens for a fun MTV-style video.


Run-DMC: Greatest Hits - Run-DMC



W is for ‘Wannabe’



Who could forget those wacky, funky Brit chicks who rocked the world with their spicy brand of pop ditties back in the 90’s? Check out the Spice Girls’ first big hit, ‘Wannabe’:

Yo, I tell you what I want,
What I really, really want...



Wannabe - Spice


W is for ‘We Got the Beat’



The Go Go’s were another fabulous girl group from the previous decade and this thumping tune is one of my all time favorites:


We Got the Beat - Beauty and the Beat


W is for ‘We Will Rock You’



Queen is one of the greatest rock bands to ever hit the stage. With so many great songs in their catalog, one can’t help but wonder how many more we’d have had Freddie Mercury not left us so soon. Classics such as ‘We Are the Champions,’ ‘Bohemian Rhapsody,’ ‘Fat Bottomed Girls,’ ‘You’re My Best Friend,’ and the song that inspired the name of a current pop star, ‘Radio Gaga,’ are but a small portion of the huge legacy this band left behind. This is one of my favorites, a rock anthem that’s so powerful it is still commonly used as rallying cries at sporting events around the globe. Oh, and I used to love that 'News of the World' album cover, too!


We Will Rock You - Queen: Greatest Hits I & II


W is for ‘When I Grow Up’



We began this post with a song from recent times and we finish just the same. This one, by the funky Pussycat Dolls, still fills up dance floors whenever it’s played. Enjoy 'When I Grow Up':

Now I’ve got a confession, ha ha ha ha


When I Grow Up - Doll Domination


So there you have it. It's been really difficult choosing the songs to include here because there are so many. Perhaps some of the ones I didn't choose will pop up here or there, we'll see. I tried to include songs of different genres and generations so hopefully there's a little something for everybody to enjoy. I certainly had a great time listening to all of these and maybe, just maybe there are some of you out there who enjoyed them all as much as I did. As always, thanks for checking out my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment