Thursday, July 11, 2013

Music News Bytes: Music in 2013...so far!; A Timberlake Tease; Pitbull's "International Takeover"

Music News Bytes is a collection of short news items that I follow on the Web. If you're into the same type of music I am, that is pop, dance, R&B, and such, check it out...

Billboard Mid-Year Music Awards

Well, the year 2013 is halfway over and I think it's as good a time as any to take a look at the year in music so far.  Billboard just released its own Mid-Year Music Awards, which was voted on by fans and dominated by Taylor Swift.  Here's a look at some of what the industry expert's poll found, of course with commentary by me:

Taylor Swift Rules Billboard.com's 2013 Mid-Year Music Awards

First Half MVP - Taylor Swift

I'm not sure exactly what MVP would entail, but Billboard fans voted Taylor Swift as their Most Valuable Player in music for the year so far.  I suspect that the voters who voted are pretty much the same type of people who vote in shows like Idol and such.  You guessed it, pre-teen girls.  I mean, okay, I'm not a Swift fan, so I can't really argue here, but Justin Timberlake and Beyonce finished 2nd and 3rd respectively.  Really?

Best Newcomer - Ariana Grande

With a little help from Mac Miller on her hit, The Way, teen actress turned singer Ariana Grande won in this category, further proving just who the voters are.  Can anybody repeat pre-teen girls?  Jeez!


Best Song - Just Give Me a Reason - P!nk, featuring Nate Ruess

Yeah baby, finally something I can agree with!

Other Billboard Mid-Year Music Awards went to artist I would expect to see, given the results of the major categories.  Swift, Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, and the rest of the usual tennie bopper crowd that are found all over pop music these days rule the roost.  For more on Billboard's list, check out their web page to see winners in other categories such as Best Video, Best Comeback, Most Memorable Feud, Most Shocking Moment, and more.


My Top Ten Songs of the Year...so far!

I've just published my own list of my picks for the ten best songs of the year so far on the Yahoo Contributor Network, and there you'll see much of what I like in music.  Many of the songs listed have been featured on my Song of the Day posts and I like my picks much better than what the Billboard readers, or voters, would have selected.  Check out The Top Ten Pop Songs of the Year, So Far.


Justin Timberlake Teases New Stuff

I mentioned in a previous Music News Bytes that Justin Timberlake would be putting out yet another album in September.  Well, Timberlake recently released a snippet of a new song from The 20/20 Experience II.  The tune, Take Back the Night, is tantilizingly good and you can check it out here.

Pitbull's Gonna Rock Your Summer!

Before I ever got to finish track reviews of Pitbull's Global Warming (I'm gonna get to it, I swear!), Mr. 305 just dropped a new album called International Takeover.  It's a compilation album of summer ready dance tracks with the likes of Trick Daddy, David Rush, Qwote, and more.  Pick it up at iTunes below, and stay tuned for track reviews of this one!



Well, that's all she wrote for this edition of Music News Bytes. Stay tuned for more on music, music, and a little bit of life as I see it on John's World.

No comments:

Post a Comment