Friday, December 16, 2011

A not so Christmas Christmas Song of the Day - Peace Train - Dolly Parton; 10,000 Maniacs; Cat Stevens



Though this is not a traditional Christmas song, I think it fits the season well. The song has enjoyed many, many covers for its beautiful lyrics and catchy sounds, and there are actually three versions that have all piqued my interest at different times in my life.

The first one here is the most recent one, by none other than the beautiful Ms. Dolly Parton. I've actually got a dance mix of this song which works surprisingly well, though I chose to share this moving version because it is a live performance done beautifully with African musical group Ladysmith Black Mambazo lending a hand for a CBS special of her "Hidden Treasures" concert back in 1996.




The next version is the first one that I heard that made me love it. It's from sweet-sounding Natalie Merchant and 10,000 Maniacs from their heyday in the 90's. It's still my favorite version of the tune. Check it out:




Finally, here's the original version by folk singer/songwriter Cat Stevens. It was originally one of those songs meant as a voice for peace in a time of war, and though those days are long gone, its message of peace rings true today and forevermore. Peace to you and a very, Merry Christmas!


Peace Train - Cat Stevens: Greatest Hits





Image Source: peacetrain/pbworks

No comments:

Post a Comment