Sunday, May 26, 2013

May 26, 2013: Miserableness; Catching up; The Soundtrack to Life

Hello and good morning!  If you've checked out today's Song of the Day, you've probably already figured out that I am in a good mood today.  The song is Rihanna's Please Don't Stop the Music, and I played it because I am planning on dancing...a lot...tonight.  Please read on...

Miserableness

The past week, no, in fact these past several months, have been full of mostly crappy, unseasonable weather. After the hurricane last fall, a lot of snow and freezing temperatures all winter, we really haven't had much of a spring.  This past week's been especially miserable, with lots of rain and much cooler than normal temps.  And now, Memorial Day Weekend has been the worst of it, so bad that my pals and I were contemplating not going to Cherry Grove, which has never happened before.

Now I've posted many times before on my jaunts to Fire Island.  It's something that I love to do, especially in the days since I've been single.  I haven't gone out dancing too much this winter, mostly due to lack of funds, a more localized social life, and of course, the weather.  Long Island nightlife has gotten much better with Nuts & Bolts around the corner, but it's still not a place to go dancing, which is my primary reason for going out.

And so, despite the cool temps, the day has turned out to be not a bad one after all.  Intermittent sunshine has definitely brightened my spirits and of course we are going to the Grove tonight, which puts me in an even better mood.  Oh yeah, I plan on having a good time, even if I am freezing.  So stay tuned to see how this one turns out....since last summer I've made lots of new friends and it's definitely going to be a whole new vibe over there...


Catching Up

It's been a really long time since I've posted anything personal here, and I hope once again to catch up more often.  Life's been real busy lately.  I've been taking extra shifts tutoring and teaching a night class in order to save money for summer, and that's left very little time for writing, though I do have something exciting I've been wanting to share.

You see, aside from the fact that the busy-ness of life has kept me from writing regularly, I've been feeling kind of lost in my writing.  That is, where I used to pound out articles and blog posts regularly, I've also been having trouble getting focused.  Maybe it's because I'm too spread thin...I don't know, but today I am actually working on something that's got my juices flowing...


The Soundtrack to Life and How It Works

As of this writing, I am about 180 pages into my first book.  It all started a few months ago when my pal Laura Kim and I were talking on the subject.  We were trying to think of ways I could incorporate some of the things I've written into some sort of cohesive unit...a book.  Back then my thoughts were to put together social commentaries I've made into a collective work, but that never really got going.

Then about six weeks ago, I met fellow blogger and friend Sonny, who pushed me even further into the mindset of creating a book, and I think I've found the ticket.  If you look at all of my written pieces, what is the one thing that flows through most of it?  Music.  That's right, music is one of my most favorite things in life and aside from all of the reviews, concert pieces, Songs of the Day and others, I've also used music as a means to tell stories.  And that is the crux of my book.

I won't say too much about it now because it's still in the prep stages, really, but it will consist of stories set to songs and albums, stories we can all relate to.  I will keep you posted as I move along, but it looks like that's going to be the bulk of my work this summer.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment