Saturday, May 4, 2013

Yummy Yuca (Frita)!

Many of you have probably heard of yuca, but aren't necessarily sure what it is.  Well, really the word 'yucca' can mean a few things (and is spelled differently in different realms).  Most Americans might think of the tropical plant that many of us have had in our homes at one time or another, but that's not the yucca I want to discuss here.

Yucca gloriosa in clay pot - Wikimedia

'Yuca,' as many Latinos call it, is a root vegetable also known as cassava.  It is a major source of food in the tropics, feeding over a half a billion people in a year, and it's a starchy, carb-filled vegetable, much like a potato.  I first came across yuca in a local Colombian restaurant in the town where I live, and since I love potatoes, I adored these, too (especially with that delicious special Colombian condiment!).

Yummy! - miaminewtimes

I've only had them 'frita,' which means 'fried,' and they're just like French fries, even maybe a little better if they're prepared right.  So whenever I go to that restaurant, or any other Latin restaurant that serves yuca frita (or sometimes cassava fries), I always, always order it, and usually whoever is with me loves it, too!  So if you ever get the chance, give it a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment