Thursday, October 6, 2011

Song of the Day - Take A Letter Maria - R.B. Greaves


Today's "Song of the Day" is the polar opposite of yesterday's song and it shows you the range of music that I like. Though club music is my first love, there's at least something about other types of music that I love, whether it be rock, country, R&B, oldies or whatever. That's probably why I got into deejaying way back in the day.

Anyway, today's song is from 1969 and even though I was only 5 years old at the time, I kind of remember it from then. I can almost picture myself sitting in the back of dad's red Chevy convertible on a hot summer day singing this one along with everyone else. I rediscovered it later when I bought the soundtrack to the hysterically funny film, "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert." The soundtrack was full of cool older songs, like ABBA's "Mamma Mia," Charlene's "I've Never Been to Me," Village People's "Go West," Peaches and Herb's "Shake Your Groove Thing," and many others.

I almost always played this song when I deejayed. It was always good for an early song, att a time of the party when people are just getting there and chatting. I'd always get a few toe taps or singing along and it helped to get people in the mood to dance. "Take a Letter, Maria" is a fun song about a the lamentations of a dude who works too much and neglects his personal life. His wife cheats on him as a result and where Maria, the secretary, comes in, I'm not so sure (eyebrows raised!). So if you're any younger than me, you might not know this one, but it's short and fun, so check it out!


Take a Letter, Maria - One Hit Wonders






No comments:

Post a Comment