Monday, November 18, 2013

ARTPOP Track by Track Reviews: Aura

It's been awhile since I've tackled an album track by track, mostly because frankly there's been too much great new stuff out there to cover and little time to do it.  But since Gaga is one of the major players on the pop/dance scene today and a personal favorite, ARTPOP is definitely deserving of a closer look.

Last week I gave my first impressions of the album and now is time for a more in depth take on the tracks of ARTPOP.  Now that I've had a week or so to digest them, I feel that my opinions are more what they're going to be going forward rather than some innocuous first impressions that don't always mean that much with new music.


The first track on the record is Aura.  The other day I said this one was Middle Eastern-sounding and I gave it only three stars.  Well, I was kind of right.  The strings in the opening and elsewhere are surely influenced by Middle Eastern sounds, which I think is pretty cool, but when Gaga begins to sing the song sounds more like it's out of the soundtrack of a Quentin Tarantino film:

I killed my former and
Left her in the trunk on Highway 10
Put the knife under the hood
If you find it, send it straight to Hollywood

Aura is an appropriate introduction to this themed set, a marriage of art and pop, very avant garde.  The song has definitely grown on me, but it's still not enough to gain another star...maybe a half.  Check it out...


No comments:

Post a Comment