Monday, November 4, 2013

A Hairless Problem

It's bad enough that I'm losing hair where I want it and growing it where I don't want it.  That's God's cruel joke on men.  And now I've got another hairy, or better yet, 'hairless,' problem, and it's definitely a warning sign. I was just saying that I need to make some changes in my life and now it's hit me right in the face..literally!


Take a look at my picture.  I just took it a few minutes ago.  Yeah, "so what?," you might say.  But take a closer look...towards the left side of my chin.  I first noticed it yesterday while shaving, and at first I thought nothing about it, but that roundish, hairless spot is even visible when I'm cleanly shaven.  I have a problem!

First thing this morning I sought out the school nurse to see what her take was on this enigma.  "Alopecia," she said right away.  (Alopecia is a localized hair loss condition that can happen anywhere on the body.)

"What causes it?," I asked. 

"Could be lots of things...hereditary, medication...Have you ever had this before?"

"No."

"Uh oh, that's not good."

I already knew then what the problem was.  "Could it be stress-related?"

"Oh definitely!"

That's what I suspected.  As you might imagine from the scarcity of pieces I've been putting out here, there, and anywhere, I've been super-busy lately. I've been burning the proverbial candle not only at both ends, but somewhere in the middle, too.

My job has been super-stressful this year...I barely have time too snarf down some food during the day, and my work's never even finished with the work day.  I tell ya, I could work 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and still not catch up.  Before I can tackle one thing, three more pop up.  It's so frustrating!

Then I work two other jobs, one tutoring twice a week after school and the other a nighttime ESL class for adults.  I do it for the much-needed money, but obviously it's starting to take a toll on me physically.  Pair all of that with a more than averagely active social life and very little sleep and you've got the makings for disaster, especially at my age.

So, I think...no, I know!  I've got to make some changes.  I've got to figure out what to cut out and what to change for the better, or else!  You'd have thought I would have begun by now, having discovered this more than 24 hours ago, but here it is, well after 11 p.m. and here I sit, typing away.  I can't worry about that, though.  Just gotta move forward, keeping my eyes on the goal here.  First, I have to see a doctor.  Stay tuned and let's see what happens. All I can say is I need to focus.  Time to revisit Dan Millman...This is serious!

No comments:

Post a Comment