Sunday, January 26, 2014

Tonight's Grammys Is Gonna Be Good!

As I mentioned earlier, today is going to be a TV day for me, which is something I rarely ever say.  First, this afternoon is the big outdoor hockey game at Yankee Stadium featuring the NY Rangers and the New Jersey Devils, and then tonight is one of the biggest nights of the year in the music industry: The Grammys. This year's show is going to be extra exciting for me, as two of my favorite singers will be performing amidst all of the hoopla and craziness that usually accompanies these kinds of shows.


Who can forget this classic performance by 
Ms. P!nk during the 2010 Grammy Awards show?

The Performances

Among the many musical performances of the evening, which include Daft Punk, John Legend, Lorde, Katy Perry, and Robin Thicke, just to name a few, are two of my very favorite ladies of song: Madonna and P!nk.  First up, P!nk will be performing her Grammy-nominated duet with Nate Reuss, Just Give Me a Reason, and then Madonna comes out of her hiatus to perform with Macklemore and Lewis, with Mary Lambert, on Same Love.  This should be good!

And the nominees are...

Record of the Year
Get LuckyDaft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams & Nile Rodgers
Royals - Lorde
Locked Out Of Heaven - Bruno Mars
Blurred Lines - Robin Thicke ft. T.I. & Pharrell
Radioactive -Imagine Dragons 

The biggest award of the night features some pretty stiff competition.  All are great tunes, and I'd love to see Lorde take it, though the winner is anyone's guess.

Album of the Year 
The Blessed UnrestSara Bareilles 
Random Access Memories - Daft Punk
Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City - Kendrick Lamar
Red - Taylor Swift
The Heist - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

Since I'm not too familiar with most of these albums (tsk, tsk!), I hesitate to make a prediction here, but somehow Taylor Swift always seems to win big, so....  I'm rooting for Macklemore and Lewis!

Song of the Year
Just Give Me a Reason - P!nk
Locked Out of Heaven - Bruno Mars
Roar - Katy Perry
Royals - Lorde
Same Love - Macklemore and Lewis

Ooh, lots of good choices here, and you probably already know who my favorite is!  (I also think this one's going to win.)

Best New Artist Nominees
James Blake
Kendrick Lamar
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis 
Kacey Musgraves 
Ed Sheeran

Macklemore & Lewis!  Rock on!

Best Dance Recording
Need U - Duke Dumont
Sweet Nothing - Calvin Harris, featuring Florence Welch
Atmosphere - Kaskade
This Is What It Feels Like - Armin Van Buuren
Clarity - Zedd

This one probably won't be shown on the telly, but since my focus is almost always on dance music, I felt I should include it here.  My pick in this category would be Calvin Harris, but since Clarity was played so much throughout the year, I'm predicting a Grammy for Zedd.

So yeah, tonight's Grammy show should be a good one to watch, even better than usual.  So tune in tonight at 8 on CBS, and stay tuned here for more commentary after the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment