Monday, May 23, 2011

May 23, 2011 - Invasion of the Men's Dept. Redux, Splash/Ritz Saturdays, Adele and Robyn in Out

Well it’s Monday afternoon and the third time I’m giving this post a try. Another weekend has come and gone, but that’s okay, though, cause summer’s right around the corner and I’ll have plenty of time to sleep and relax then, lol. It was a pretty good weekend, albeit a tiring one…



Macy’s Private Men’s Sale

This weekend was Macy’s semi-annual private men’s sale, which is usually the time I buy most of the clothes I have. This sale is the best Macy’s has, as it’s the one sale that I know of where there are (almost) no exclusions. Since I normally like to buy designer clothes, this one’s always a win-win for me, and so every time they have one I take the opportunity to get to Macys. The problem is, at first they used to have them two, maybe three times a year and now they’re running them way too often, luring me in almost bi-monthly with the promise of 25% off.

I wouldn’t normally bring up a shopping excursion such as this, but I experienced once again something I’ve written about before. In the article Invasion of the Men’s Department: Who’s to Blame?, I discuss an issue that has plagued me for years. Every time I go shopping for clothes, I always seem to have to fight with women everywhere, at the clothes racks, the underwear department and yes, even in the fitting room. It’s a pet peeve that never ceases, and I experienced it once again on Saturday.



After gathering some new frocks to try on in the Inc., Ecko and Calvin Klein areas, I headed off to the fitting room to try everything on. I hopped into a stall near the entrance and started to change. Within moments I heard a couple right outside my door.

“Is it okay if I come in?’ a woman’s voice whispered.

“Yeah, don’t worry about it,” her apparent boyfriend answered.

My blood began to boil as the woman stood right outside my stall, making the usual commentary on the clueless male shopper. I had wanted to scream “no” in answer to her question, but that’s not my style. The two of them continued on in his little fashion show as if there were nothing extraordinary about it.

“Ooh, that makes your butt look hot!”

“Nope….I don’t like the color.”

“Those are too long.”

As this went on I was screaming inside my head. I so wanted to tell the woman to get the heck outta there. If I were to walk into the ladies fitting room while she was trying things on, I’m sure she would have freaked out and the authorities would’ve been called in.

When I was done, though, the young, pretty woman gave me a smile and all I could do was smile back and think “bitch” under my breath. Nah, this wasn’t worth fighting for, but still: grrrrrrr!!!!!

Splash/Ritz Saturdays

After resting up at home on Friday night, I headed out to the city one last time before Fire Island summer weekends start next week. (Not that I won’t be going into the city anymore, just not as much, which I’m thankful for, especially with the price of gas these days.) I got off to a late start, but that was okay because I beat the midnight deadline when the Splash cover doubles from $10 to $20.

Splash was great fun from the get go. It was more crowded than usual and the music was smoking. I’m not sure if it was just because I was in a good mood or what last night, but I was just having such a good time dancing and talking with people I really could’ve stayed at Splash all night. I did have one uncomfortable moment when this dude kept grabbing me on the dance floor around the waist every time I put my hands in the air, but I handled him okay and escaped downstairs to my favorite bartender.

I’m not sure if I’ve ever mentioned him before, but there’s this guy who works downstairs behind the bar. I have no idea how he came to be my bartender, but he is. Now all (or most) of the bartenders at Splash are good looking and their uniform is a pair of skivvies, and this dude is no exception. He’s tall, sculpted, beautiful, and a heck of a nice guy. I’ve been going to him for months, but I have no idea what his name is, lol.



Anyway, as I sat at the bar for a drink, this really big, shirtless dude came and sat next to me. We exchanged a glance or two and just as I thought to myself that he really should put his shirt back on, he turned to me and asked me if he looked gross. Being the good liar that I am, I told him that he wasn’t and turned back towards my drink. The dude then leaned over the bar and whispered something to my bartender. All he did was shake his head and the guy walked away.

“But your face is…” the bartender said aloud once the dude had moved away. He turned to me and smiled. Ah, we had a moment, lol!

Wild Night at Ritz

As I said earlier, I was having such a good time at Splash I really could’ve stayed there all night, but at around 1:30 I had a sudden urge to go to the Ritz. I have yet to have a bad time there and I guess I was just curious enough to check out the scene. All I can say here was that I’m glad I went, because I had one of the best times in recent memory. For the first time in like forever, I was up and dancing with these two guys when suddenly the lights went on and the music stopped.

At first, I thought it might be a raid or something, but then I realized it was 4AM. The bar was closing and it was time to go home, but not before spilling out on to the street and chatting with the guys I had been dancing with earlier. By the time I got home, it was almost 6AM. I can’t wait to move into the city!

Out Magazine

This month’s Out Magazine features two of my favorite female singers. Cover girl and piping hot songstress Adele sat down for an interview with the gay periodical’s Aaron Hicklin on the eve of her current US tour. The interview is a great read and the photos, by photographer Perry Ogden, are slamming, especially the cover shot. Click the pic below to check it out:



The other singer featured in the June issue is none other than Robyn, who played such a big part of my life just a few short months ago. The talented Swedish pop star talks to Out’s Noah Michelson about her very un-pop-like approach to being successful, as well as her popularity within the gay culture. It’s another great read!



It’s too bad that lately I no longer listen to either of these lovely and talented young ladies. I’m afraid their music, although absolutely wonderful, brings up too many painful memories for me and I can’t help but hit the ‘next’ button whenever one of their songs comes into play on my iPod. Maybe one day I’ll listen again!

Well, I think I’ve said more than a mouthful today and I’m going to finish up with a new semi-regular feature. I recently published a piece on Y!CN called Retweeting Great Quotes on Twitter for Both Inspiration and Followers. It features some of my favorite things about Twitter: great quotes. Since there are so many great quotes tweeted each and every day, I figured I may just have to share a good one or two at the end of my posts. Today I share two quotes that I believe in wholeheartedly. Hopefully they will give you inspiration:

Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it and let it become you and you will find great things happen for you, to you and because of you.”

@InflictTheTruth

Life is too short so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.”

@OMGloveislouder

I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s post and once again, thanks for reading! Enjoy Adele's 'Rolling in the Deep':


21 - ADELE



No comments:

Post a Comment