Friday, May 20, 2011

Z is for Zucchini Bake


For any of you who’ve read any of my stories about my Aunt Vi, you would know what a loving, kind aunt she was. She rescued me from babysitting hell in 1979 by moving out to Long Island to take care of us while mom worked and over the years she cooked us plenty of dinners. Aunt Vi had lots of specialties: chicken cacciatore, eggplant parmigiana, pizza rustica, all Italian favorites. One of the things Aunt Vi made, which she actually gave me the recipe for was something she called zucchini bake.

Z is for Zucchini Bake

It’s pretty rare that I share a recipe here, but this was published on the old Associated Content back in 2007 and I’m going to republish it here as it was written:
I made my Aunt Vi’s zucchini bake for a luncheon at work one day and it went over big. Some people at the luncheon thought it was a frittata. Others believed it was a quiche. I'd say it's somewhere in between. Nonetheless it makes a delicious addition to any main course meal, or even an 'anytime' snack. It can be enjoyed heated up, at room temperature, or even cold right out of the fridge. I guess you could say it's versatile.

Ingredients:
4 Zucchini chopped or grated
1 Cup Grated Cheese
Cup Vegetable Oil/Crisco
1 Small Onion Chopped or grated (*grating adds lots of extra flavor!)
Salt/Black Pepper
Parsley Flakes or Fresh Parsley, chopped
Garlic Powder
1 Cup of Bisquick (or just plain flour!)
4 Eggs

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
Chop or grate (*) the zucchini into small pieces
Mix in Bisquick
Beat 4 eggs, then add the following:
-Oil
-Grated Cheese
-Onion
-Salt and Pepper
-Parsley
-Garlic Powder
Mix well!
Spray baking pan with cooking spray
Place mixture into pan
Let bake until golden brown on top
Takes about 45-60 minutes
When serving, cut the bake into small squares

Enjoy!

So if you like zucchini, or just about anything like this, give it a try today. It’s pretty versatile and oh so delicious!


1 comment: