Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday, June 11th, 2012 - Time Heals

Where to start, where to start?  Just last Tuesday I was rambling on here that things were in a really down mode for me, and now, almost a week later, they don't seem as bad.  I think that time is by far the best healer of all things: my body's feeling much better, I'm now five days closer to the end of the school year, and I've managed to get in a little fun over the weekend...oh, and I got some really good news, too!  Really, this could end up being a very long post, but I'm going to try and keep it as short as possible...

The Good Stuff First

On Friday morning I awoke to find a surprise email from an educational book publisher in Ireland.  It seems they like a poem I wrote awhile back (Push and Pull), and they want to include it in a teacher's manual they're publishing for a program geared towards 11-12 year olds.  How cool is that?  I'm currently in 'negotiations,' so stay tuned.

Last Week's Mess


In last week's post I said that a lot of things were going on in my life, and they were.  One of my ex's nephews passed away suddenly and I suddenly found myself going to my second wake in three nights, and with this one I got to see Joe's family, whom I hadn't seen for almost five years.  That kind of explains my Song of the Day choice from last Monday, which coincidentally would have been mine and Joe's 25th anniversary.

Anyway, yeah I was feeling sentimental, but not really over Joe or anything like that.  It was actually good to see so many people who were once a part of my family, and like I said in the post, I was feeling their pain.

And then there's school!  For privacy reasons, I can't recount much of what's been happening there, only to say that it's been major.  At least three of my students have been embroiled in 'scandals' at school and I've been left to clean up the mess as yet a fourth one tests my mettle.  The biggest of the problems was brought to me within five minutes of returning from surgery and things have only intensified since.  Every day's been a new mountain to climb and hopefully by Thursday, much of the stress will have been alleviated.

So it's been one hell of a ride the past several weeks, but I'm getting to a point where I've learned to just let it roll off my sleeve and try not to get too stressed over it.  Summer's coming and I've started putting pleasant thoughts about the upcoming break in the forefront of my mind, and again, as time has passed, things don't seem as bad.



LOL

A Nice, Gay Saturday

Saturday was Long Island's Gay Pride Parade and Festival and I went for the very first time in my life, with my two pals Blanche and Dita.  Though it was a gloomy day and there was a lot of standing involved, I had a great time.  LI's Pride Celebration is one of the biggest outside of NYC's, and this one featured some nice entertainment and a colorful crowd.

Though it had been a really long day at the festival, I found myself in the mood to go out and have a little fun, so I decided at the last minute to go to Cherry Grove for the first time of the season, not counting Memorial Sunday, of course.  My pal Manny was over there renting a place and I met up with him and his friends for what turned out to be a really fun night.

So here I am, the Monday hump is over and tomorrow is the last day of classes at school.  The good things that've happened since Friday have put me in a better place and I'm certainly looking to better days ahead.  I got my first good workout since my surgery, so hell yeah!  Check out some pictures of Saturday's parade and festival below, and as always, thanks for reading!



The High Heel Race










Love and Pride

No comments:

Post a Comment