Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sunday, June 17th, 2012 - Let the Fun Begin!

It's Sunday and I've finally entered into relax mode after several hectic and trying weeks.  I tell ya, it feels good to get caught up on stuff that I just haven't had time to get to, namely cleaning my house and yard, and now I've got just a week of school left and a whole summer ahead to think about and enjoy.  I hope it's going to be the best ever!

Ghetto Lawn No More

Last Sunday, I went into my garage to take out the lawn mower so I could mow the lawn, and POW!  I took one yank of the starter rope and a bolt on the side of the engine popped off to the left of me in what sounded like a gun shot.  I nearly jumped the whole height of my garage, even though I had my headphones on, lol.  Thank goodness I wasn't hurt, but suddenly I found myself with now two lawn mowers that didn't work.

That was late Sunday afternoon, and I had something going on every single night this week, so I knew I wouldn't be able to do anything about it until yesterday, six more days of growing grass.
Every night this week I watched my yard turn ghetto, the grass creeping ever so slowly and steadily towards the sky.  I really didn't want to buy a new lawn mower, especially since I want to leave this house within the next year or so, and of all things, my mom came to the rescue.

Mom's had a landscaper for a couple of years now and I asked her the other day if she still had her old mower, which she said she did, but it hadn't been started in over two years.  As like other things have come with the ending of this latest Ziggy period, lo and behold it worked!  Ghetto lawn no more!

Let the Fun Begin!

Like I always say, life is full of ups and downs and the whole key to the thing is to weather the down times and make the high ones last as long as you can.  After what seemed like an eternal Ziggy time for me, I think that this week I've turned the corner.  Having gotten past my long days and nights, Thursday was my first chance to kick back and have some fun and boy have I been having a blast ever since.

Thursday night was the annual retirement party at work.  Normally I avoid going to work functions because they're usually far from home and I don't like to be drinking too much when I have a long drive.  This party, though, wasn't too far away, and this year there were several people whom I like that were being honored and so I wanted to go for them.

For the first time in a long time, I got all decked out in suit and tie and if I'd have known what kind of reception I would get from that, I'd dress up more often.  The night was awesome, with lots of love and good music and dancing with some really cool people.  It might have taken me nine years to get totally comfortable with a lot of my fellow school staff members, but it feels so good to be there.


My pal Laura Kim gave a tribute to our colleague Tony, who was retiring after 15 years with the school district.  Tony is the technology teacher and he was responsible for putting my school on the national stage with robotics, which he started and ran.  Laura Kim's speech was hysterical, with a David Letterman style "Top Ten Reasons Why Robots Are Sexy."  She's going to allow me to repost it here, so be on the lookout for that soon. 

Laura Kim and Tony

Me and my pal Terry

Friday Frolicking 

On Friday, Laura Kim asked me if I wanted to have a quick dinner after school.  Though I had to go fetch the lawn mower from mom's house, I figured I'd have plenty of time after a quick meal, so I agreed, but dinner turned out to be a lot more.  After eating at a local trattoria called Grana's (I need to write a review of the place!), Laura Kim suggested we go for a walk to burn off a few calories.  We decided to hit the beach in Jamesport, where she lives.  

When we got there, I whipped out my Frisbee and we started from there, but just kept rolling into other things as we played on the jungle gym, being silly, and then I took a quick Tae Kwon Do lesson from my pal.  We ended the night with a pedicure at a local spa, which was the perfect ending to a perfect night!








Another Night on the Island of Fire

I tell ya, from the way things have been going on at Cherry Grove, this is going to be the best summer ever!  I returned there last night for the second straight Saturday and once again it was a blast!  As usual, I went over by myself, but it didn't stay that way for long.  I ran into a bunch of people, some of whom I knew were going to be there and others who were surprises.  

I ran into my pal Lisa, who was there with her girlfriend Rose.  Such a sweetie that Rose was!  I also ran into this dude Keith, who my pal Lisa tried to set me up with last year.  Keith and I hung out together a lot last night, and we rode home together, too.  We exchanged numbers, so we'll see... :-)

I also saw my other pals Manny and Ozzie, who I knew would be there.  I gotta tell ya, the more I hang out with Manny, the more I love him.  What a great person he is, so sweet and so...I dunno, just awesome!  I look forward to hanging out with him more.  And Ozzie!  He and I have kind of been on the outs these past few months, but from last night, I can see that he is still a great person, too, and I'm guessing that if we're still in contact, we're still gonna be, which is a great thing!

Oz is doing his first show on Fire Island today, as Ruby Diamond, at the Ice Palace's weekly afternoon poolside show.  He told me to come, and I really wish I could, but money is way too tight and if I go, I won't be eating or driving this week.  :-(  Next time, Oz, I promise!

Anyway, this Friday, Laura Kim and I will be celebrating the end of the school year withh ann overnight jaunt to the Grove.  It'll be my first time, not counting that horrible night last summer when I got stranded.  Manny will still be there, and Keith said he may be coming, as well as, maybe, Dita, gasp. So yeah, that's going to be a blast!  Weezie is back baby!  

Manny and I

Me and Oz


Manny, Ruby and I at last year's Outlook Awards






Love and Pride

No comments:

Post a Comment