Friday, August 2, 2013

Madonna Turns 30

Being a part-time writer who writes on a lot of different topics, I don't always get to write about the things I want to write about, especially in stuff like news bytes and anniversaries in the music world.  Just last week, I missed the anniversary of Amy Winehouse's death by one day.  It's frustrating, because sometimes when I hear about an anniversary I'd like to mention it, but I don't always have time to sit and write about it.  Then I have to decide whether to mention it after the fact or not.  Case in point...


July 27th was the 30 year anniversary of the release of Madonna's eponymous debut album.  Last October saw the same anniversary of her first single, Everybody, which I did not miss, and even though I'm about a week late in commemorating this one, I could not let it go without mention.


After playing the heck out of Everybody back in 1982, I welcomed with open ears the then mysterious singer's second, double sided single, Physical Attraction and Burning Up (which was a much more danceable version than the one that was put on the album).  My thirst was quenched for a little while longer.  Then, the following summer, that album featuring the now iconic platinum blonde pose youngster with the piercing eyes came out and I was simply in heaven!  The people in my family can attest that way back then I knew she was something special.


Rather than rewrite stuff I've already written on the subject, I'm going to include links below to some of those pieces I have written about Madonna and her first album.  In the meantime, check out one of my favorites still, from that first one...

Maybe we were meant to be together
Even though we never met before...



Madonna 'Physical Attraction' (take 1)...w/ lot'z of LOVE by Manny Cuevas aka DJ M-TRAXXX from DJ M-TRAXXX on Vimeo.

As promised, here are some of those links I mentioned above.  If you were around at the time, I'm sure they'll conjure up some great memories for you...

A Track by Track Review of Madonna's Debut Album ( Yahoo Voices)

Song of the Day - Holiday, from Yankee Stadium (MDNA Tour)

Madonnathon at Splash NYC

VH1's Greatest Women

M is for Madonna

Madonnathon Song of the Day - Lucky Star


And here's Billboard's story on the anniversary:







No comments:

Post a Comment