Saturday, March 3, 2012

M.D.N.A.thon 2012- All Madonna, All Night at Splash NYC



Last night was one of the best nights ever as me, my pal Rich and a few hundred other fellow Madonna devotees took to the dance floor at Splash for the M.D.N.A.-thon 2012. It was the first time I’d ever seen, much less attended a Madonnathon, and it was completely awesome! The event was hosted by a group called Madonna's World and it could not have been any better.

All Madonna, All Night Long

Madonna is really the only artist for whom any bar could have such a night. Sure there are other artists that have enough material to fill an evening’s worth of music, but none with such a vast catalog of music in the dance genre. From early pure club smashes like “Everybody” and “Lucky Star” to more recent favorites such as “”Give It 2 Me,” “Hung Up,” and “Revolver,” Madonna’s got enough iconic and danceable songs to keep the floor full from opening until closing, and that’s just what happened at Splash last night.




Lucky Star - Madonna




A Packed House

Rich and I arrived at Splash around 10:45 and the place was packed in. Normally the club hosts an event called F-Word Fridays, which I’ve gone to and this was definitely way more crowded than any of those nights. The crowd was decidedly mixed, men and women, younger and older, black, white, Hispanic and Asian, and they all had one thing in common: a love for Madonna.

Deejay Susan Levine, who is the regular Saturday night spinner at Cherry’s on the Bay on Fire Island in the summer, was on hand to spin the best of Madge, old and new. Rich and I got drinks and headed out to watch the goings-on on the dance floor, which was full of people. “Borderline” was playing overhead and I had a smile on my face from ear to ear as I think this was the very first time I ever heard it in a club.

Soon Madonna’s debut single from 1982-3 came on, a bassy dance tune called “Everybody,” and my night of dancing had begun. I excused myself from my pal, who was not ready to jump on it just yet, to make my way to the dance floor.

I know you’ve been waiting
Yeah


There I was dancing, singing and smiling the whole time, and in another rarity, the people around me were doing the same thing and returning one another’s smiles, being friendly. I danced with several people to “Celebration,” “Get Together,” “Fever,” and more before Rich finally joined in on “Express Yourself.” It was an absolute blast, and we literally danced our asses off!

So for any club owners out there who are looking to do something different, host a special night and attract a lot of people to it, I highly recommend having a Madonnathon. I promise you will attract a crowd that will be mixed and friendly. As for myself, I’m going to keep an eye out for more of these…


3 comments:

  1. Hi John thanks for this awesome review! Check www.madonnathon.com for upcoming parties! There's one tonight :) Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, it was an awesome night! Was the one tonight rescheduled from last night? Because I was going to go and then lo and behold I saw that it was cancelled.

      Delete
    2. we've got the next one on July 20th at the Derby! hope you can make it !

      Delete