Saturday, November 24, 2012

Seaside Heights roller coaster to stay in the ocean?

I was just surfing around the Internet and saw an article on Yahoo that caught my eye.  It was about that roller coaster in Seaside Heights, New Jersey, that washed into the ocean during Hurricane Sandy a few weeks ago.  I remember seeing pictures of it when it first happened, and it captured my attention only for a moment because at the time there was so much to see.

seaside heights roller coaster, nj toppled roller coaster hurricane sandy

Well anyway, as I would have imagined, the site has become somewhat of a tourist attraction for people either living around or passing through that area.  It's not every day you see a roller coaster sticking up outta the ocean.  Today's story spoke of the town's mayor, Bill Akers, who spoke with reporters today, said that he was in talks with the Coast Guard to decide what to do with the structure.  He says if the structure is stable enough, he thinks it would make a great tourist attraction.

What do you think?  I don't know if I'd ever go out of my way to see it, but if I happened to be in or near Seaside Heights, I'd probably check it out.  They couldn't possibly charge for it either.  Or could they?
Anyway, check out a couple of pictures of the thing.  Kinda cool!

FILE - In this Friday, Nov. 9, 2012 file photograph, the roller coaster from an amusement pier rests in the Atlantic Ocean in Seaside Heights, N.J., after the region was pounded by Superstorm Sandy. The remains of the roller coaster that was knocked off a New Jersey amusement pier by Superstorm Sandy and partially submerged in the Atlantic Ocean might be left there as a tourist attraction. Seaside Heights Mayor Bill Akers tells WNBC-TV in New York that officials have not made a decision on whether to tear down the coaster. But the mayor says he's working with the Coast Guard to see if the coaster is stable enough to leave it alone because he believes it would make "a great tourist attraction." (AP Photo/Mel Evans)

roller coaster, new jersey toppled roller coaster, seaside hights


1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard anything about this, that's pretty cool. It's too bad they cant make it operable, I might pay to ride it! :)

    ReplyDelete