Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Eve at Nuts & Bolts

Thanksgiving Eve is probably the most well-attended night at bars and nightclubs across the country, as practically everybody in the world has the next day off.  All of the gay bars on Long Island were having special parties to mark the occasion, and even the M Lounge had their monthly get together last night.  Among all of the stiff competition going on for Thanksgiving Eve bar dollars was the opening of Nuts & Bolts, a new bar in Holbrook that's been a long time coming.



I've long been complaining about the nightlife scene here on Long Island.  Ever since entering back into the fray of singledom five years ago, I found that the bar scene out here had been decimated at best.  What was once a thriving community of choices and types of bars had become a sparse, disjointed mess, with the few clubs out there catering to the twinkie and drag queen set.  Now there's much more I can say about that, but this is a topic for another time.

Enter Nuts  Bolts, a bar whose opening had been rumored since last spring, but had yet to come to life until last night.  I had actually met the partner of one of the owners a couple of weeks ago at M Lounge.  His name is Bernard and he gave me the scoop on the new place, and I posted a preview of it on Examiner last Saturday.  Opening night was last night, Thanksgiving Eve, and judging by the crowd at the new place and the competition for the night, the evening was a smashing success!

I won't go into all of the details about the place itself here...I just posted my review of it here, but I will tell you that I had a great time.  Talk of the opening was the buzz at bowling on Tuesday and many of my fellow bowlers were on hand, in addition to other friend I'd not seen in a long time from the old Bunk House, Fire Island and other places.  My pal Dit also came by to check it out and he was equally impressed.

So hopefully the place will endure.  It is a much needed local alternative for people like me, who often get ignored by the cliquish crowds found at other bars.  One opinion, though, while I'm thinking about it, is that they need to establish an anchor night that will attract the kind of crowd that they had last night.  The place will be open 7 nights a week, and so surely they won't be getting the type of crowd they got last night.  There will be a disco night on Sundays starting at 6, but maybe an extended happy hour on a Friday or even a Thursday might bring in larger amounts of people on a regular basis.  Just a thought!

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be hearing more about it from me as time goes on. In the meantime, here are a few pictures...



Me and Bernard


Me and my pal Sean




Sirius XM Radio

1 comment:

  1. Very cool news! Always good to find a new place that's not crappy! :) Hope your thanksgiving was awesome!

    ReplyDelete