Friday, July 15, 2011

July 15th, 2011 - A little bored, a little tired; Chrissie's back!; Lunch with my BFF and Bella

Good morning and Happy Friday! I don’t really have an agenda this morning, other than to check in for a bit. Right now I’m in kind of a bad place and I don’t know how I got here. For the first time since I can remember I was bored for hours and hours yesterday. I’m kind of in a writer’s slump, right when I have all the time in the world to write, and I can’t figure out why. I’m hoping that this post will get me going…



Chrissie’s Back

Earlier this week, my sister Chrissy came back from Kentucky, where she’s been living with her partner for the past two years or so. Mom had a little party for Ann Marie’s 40th on Wednesday night, so I got to see her for the first time in a long time. She looks good, but it’s kinda weird that she’s got this half-Kentucky/half New York accent. I dunno, I’ve been a language teacher for a long time and I know that scientifically you don’t develop an accent in such a short period of time. I think she’s got a case like Madonna had when she was living in England and used that cockney accent all the time, only she’s got a twang to hers…

At first I was under the impression that she’d be staying here permanently. I don’t think she’s really happy there in Kentucky and her partner is still there, so I think now that her visit is only temporary. We’ll have to see…

Some time with my long lost BFF

A good while ago I wrote a piece called “Fag Hags” and Gay Men: Hopeless BFF’s. In it I talked about how younger men have their share of so-called “fag hags,” or women who love to hang out with their gay friends, but as time goes on inevitably that friendship wanes as the fag hag goes on to live the life of a wife and mother. I spoke about one of my own fag hags in the piece, Vera, who I’ve known for almost 30 years. My life is living proof of what I said as I saw Vera yesterday for the first time since February.

Vera has developed a whole different life for herself than she used to have. She’s busy with her husband and two kids, Frankie and Isabel, and that’s fine for her. She brought ‘Bella’ with her yesterday and at first she was terrified of lil’ ole’ me. She eventually warmed up, but I don’t know, maybe that’s why I’m a little sad. It all goes back to being single and lonely I guess. I dunno, I always go back and forth with being alone…sometimes I love the freedom and other times it gets lonely. I only wish things would move along with this ineffective job search so I can start making my moves. It’s just so frustrating!

Anyway, my visit with Vera and Bella was pleasant enough. We shared a meal and did some shopping, just like in the old days only it was morning/early afternoon, which I think was a first for she and I. When we parted we talked about doing this regularly for the rest of the summer and we plan on seeing each other again in two weeks. We’ll see what happens.


Bella and Me

Bella and Vera

Pain and Tiredness

For the past few days I’ve had a pulled muscle in my back. I don’t know how I got it, but it’s a real pain in the you-know-what. I’d met Vera early in the morning and I was up until 3 the night before, so the combination of the pain in my back and being tired led me to my boring day yesterday. I had planned on going to Splash last night, but I got some early company and by the time my friend had left, I was tired. I went to sleep for the first time before midnight all summer.
So it’s a beautiful day outside and I need to break away from the pc and get my day going. Hopefully by the end of the day I’ll be able to get an article out and then maybe do something fun. We’ll see…

No comments:

Post a Comment