Sunday, July 17, 2011

July 17, 2011 - A Long Night in Cherry Grove, Part 1

I always wanted to spend one whole night on Fire Island, but not this way. It all started innocently enough, but in the blink of an eye I found myself facing six and a half extra hours on the Island of Fire. It was the fitting end to one of the strangest nights yet in Cherry Grove…

Lesbians at the Terminal

I pulled into the ferry terminal about ten after eight. Before I even reached the ticket booth, my friend Laurie called me over. I almost gave her a call earlier in the day to see if she wanted to go, but I never got around to it, so I was glad she was there. At least I’d have someone close to hang with if I needed. She was with Lisa and another girl named Laura and they were soon joined by about six or seven other women.

“I hope it’s not ladies night,” I joked to Laura, chuckling as I said it. (Even though I said it jokingly, I was really hoping it wasn’t so.) She laughed as we boarded the 8:20, me and about 11 lesbians. One of them said that the moon was going to be full and from all of the buzz around the terminal, I had a feeling it was going to be somewhat of a wild night.

New Friends, A Punch-Drunk Weirdo and a Photographer

Once we got over to the Grove we all headed out to Cherry’s, which was pretty packed. I went off on my own here and there, dancing as I usually do and meeting new people. As usual, the majority of the crowd was women, some of them straight, and a lot of them gay. I danced a lot with this young girl who reminded me a little of Lady Gaga. Her outfit was a sequined bikini top and a black skirt, with a denim jacket over it. She was hella cool!

Of course I had my usual share of strange admirers. Most notable was this really strange older woman who was fascinated with punching me. Yeah, that’s right, I said punching!

She was a light-skinned black woman who had to be in her 60’s. She had white hair and I couldn’t tell if she was straight or gay, but as I was dancing she just came up to me and started punching me in the stomach like she was Mohammed Ali getting a workout with a punching bag. She punched me in the stomach, then the back, and even the sides. For about two hours I couldn’t shake her. Everywhere I turned she was right there punching away and every time she did so I moved away from her. I‘d like to say I have to learn how to just call these people out and tell em’ to leave me alone, but who am I kidding? I’m 46 and I don’t think things are going to change now…



I did a Google image search for "punchy lesbian" and this is what came up, lol.

I also met two women, one of their names was Tonya on the side of the dance floor. Her friend, I forget her name, was straight and although I think Laurie took a liking to her, she was clearly eyeing me. That’s when I hightailed it away from them. It’s too bad because Tonya was really cool and I think that maybe we could’ve hung out sometime.

Then there was this photographer, a black dude in a matching red outfit. I was dancing shirtless in the corner of the dance floor and he was sitting at one of the tables near the water. I had noticed him earlier, but when I saw him this time he had a professional camera in his hands and it was pointing right at me. For the next ten minutes or so he kept taking pictures of me dancing. I asked Laurie if I should go and say something, but by the time that happened, he packed up his bag and left the bar. I followed him, but quickly lost him in the crowd. I’m a little afraid of what’s gonna come with those pictures.


This is pretty much what I saw...

Lesbian Drama

One thing that lesbians are known for in gay circles is drama, and I got my first taste of it last night. I don’t want to get into details, but let’s just say that there was a three-way love interest involved, periods of silence amongst the lesbians, and lots of drunken moments. I did my fair share of trying to patch things up and smoothing them over, but they all left on the 11:30 and I don’t know how it all ended. And that was just the beginning of this strangest of nights! To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment