Saturday, November 5, 2011

November 5th,2011 - Shopping Therapy; Go Settlers; Metro Fridays; In Living Color returns

Good morning everyone! What a beautiful November day we have out here on Long Island. It’ sunny and crisp and just a great day to be out and about, which is what I plan to do as soon as I’m through with this post. Catching up…


Source: Dappered

Shopping Therapy

Today I’m heading out to the Smithaven Mall in Lake Grove. My destination is Macy’s, which is holding their latest “Private Men’s Sale,” which I guess is not so ‘private’ anymore. Shopping therapy is my next favorite way to make me feel good after dancing therapy, of course. Though I’m not really in need of therapy, it’ll still be good to buy some clothes after a long, long time.

This particular sale is Macy’s best, where there are practically no exclusions on items from which to apply the discounted 25% off. One of the best things that Joe taught me during our time together was that buying good clothing is much better than cheap, since it always lasts longer, and this is a great way to buy good, quality clothes. As my friend Dita would say, “Weezie’s getting himself some new frocks,” lol. Yes, and I am looking forward to finding something good to wear tonight, too!


Source: Sag Harbor Express

Go Settlers

Today is a playoff game for my school’s soccer team. It’s the second round of the playoffs and one of my former students is a player for the team. Can (pronounced “John”---he’s Turkish!), told me yesterday that the game is being played in Medford, which is right near where I live, so I am going to try and make the game after shopping. Good luck!


The opening night crowd at Metro Fridays

Metro Fridays

Last night I went to Metro Fridays at the Lizard Lounge. It was the first time I had been there since their opening night and I have to say I was a little disappointed. Now this is no offense to Jay or any of the other great folks at LL, but the crowd was a little too sparse and since last night was the first night with a cover, I have to say I’m not sure if I will be going there again on a Friday night anytime soon. I really went for my pal Ozzie, and it was nice to see him after a few weeks, but also the show started at 1:30, which for me was a little late, especially for a day in which I was up since 5 AM.

I understand that Metro Fridays is a new thing and that it may take some time to get a regular crowd going, but the nearby dance club, Glass, already has a Friday night crowd and I that club is more suitable for dancing, which is what I would think people would be more inclined to do on a weekend night. Of course, LL has an awesome sound system, complete with video screens, but the dance floor is kind of small and I’m not sure if anyone would ever consider it a dance club.

It’s funny, but I mentioned here awhile back that they had noted on their video screens awhile ago that Circus would be opening on Saturdays, which I think would have been a better fit. The other Saturday night dance club on Long Island is Gation, which is in Nassau County, so I think that LL would maybe have gotten a better crowd if it were gay on Saturdays, providing a Suffolk County alternative for that night’s crowds. Hindsight is 20/20, I guess, so it’s all speculation on my part. I am by no means an expert on the bar business and that’s only my honest opinion.

Still, Lizard Lounge is a great place and I will return, probably more likely on a Circus Wednesday than a Metro Friday, at least for now.


Source: Awesome HQ

Yahoo! In Living Color is coming back!

Earlier this week, it was announced that the great comedy show from the early 90’s, Keenan Ivory Wayans’ “In Living Color,” will be coming back to television with two new specials. I used to love that show and there were so many things about it that were great, including the many recurring character skits like “Men On,” “Wanda,” “Homey the Clown,” “Vera DeMilo,” “Bonita Botrell,” and many, many more. Several big names also got their starts on the show like the Wayans Brothers, Jim Carey, David Alan Grier and others. J-Lo even began her career on the show as one of the famous “Fly Girls.”

Needless to say, I am very excited about the prospect and I plan to do a piece or two on it, so that’s all I’m going to say for now on the subject. If you’d like to read more, check out a piece on the new shows from the NY Times right here, and in the meantime check out one of my all time favorite sketches from the show. It originally aired during halftime of the Super Bowl and it is just classically funny! So many great one-liners…



Check out DVD's of In Living Color at great prices from Amazon here:

in living color

No comments:

Post a Comment