Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Thanks - My Mom


I love my mom! She often says that being a mom is one of the hardest things in life, and I know it’s true because my mom carries the weight of each of her six kids’ problems on her shoulders each and every day and that can’t be an easy task! Though we have our ups and downs, I’m pretty proud to have her as my mom and I am thankful every day to have her in my life.

Joan Randazzo was born on December 22nd, 1942 somewhere in Manhattan, I believe. She was the younger of two siblings, my Uncle Bobby being her older brother, and she was the princess of many growing up, especially when it came to Joe Randazzo, her father and my grandpa, my great grandmother “mema,” and dear old Aunt Vi. It wasn’t until I got a little older that I really began to see my mom as a real person.

Growing up we all see our parents as these sort of fantasy figures who can do no wrong, but through the years and through our talks mom has revealed enough about herself that I came to see that in her own youth she did some of the same misguided things we all do, and I think it’s pretty cool.

Mom married my dad when she was really young, and starting having babies early on. Though I’m the oldest in the family, mom gave birth to another boy before me, Kenneth, who passed away after three days. After me came my brother Dave and then four straight sisters: Linda, Ann Marie, Gina and Chrissy. Mom has always been a good mother, very laid back and probably a little too permissive for her own sake, for we have all taken advantage of it here and again. In the long run, her kids are her life and we’ve all given her plenty of joy and heartache.

My mom loves all of her children very much and whether or not she always believes it, we all love her just the same. I’ve inherited a lot of things from her and for that I am thankful, too. I like to believe that my kindness and sociable nature come directly from her, as well as my natural affinity for pity parties, lol, which is one thing I’d like to change. All in all, though, I love my mom and I wouldn’t trade her in for anything!












No comments:

Post a Comment