Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Thanks - Thanks and Happy Birthday to My Friend Dita

Today is a writing day and you may just see a few posts from me here and there as I catch up on my 'Thanksgiving Thanks' for the month of November. I’m a little more than halfway there, but today is the 26th already, so I need to get a move on. Here’s the first of several you’ll see today:


Source: Deviant Art

I’m Thankful for My Friend Dita

Dita, or Rich, is one of my best friends. I can’t for the life of me tell you how I met him, though it was many years ago and I know it was through Blanche, or Bobby, who’d been good friends with him for years. Because I knew Bobby before I knew Joe, I was already 'married’ when I met Rich, and he’s one of the very few friends that Joe and I both still keep in contact with, though I’m the one who got primary custody in the divorce settlement, lol.

Rich and I became close right after the breakup and he’s been a true friend ever since. He and I have shared many a laugh together and I can always count on him to be the voice of reason whenever I’m having a crazy moment, which of course are many. I can remember all of the ‘best friends’ I’ve had over the years, Mike, Clark, Joey, Vera and Marcia, and Dita ranks right up there with the best of them.

Dita is a very funny person, and before he got his Dita moniker he was called Dorothy, after Beatrice Arthur’s role on “The Golden Girls.” That’s because he shares her sarcastic wit, and though he’s no longer called “Dorothy,” he’s still got that type of humor. Right now he’s in Virginia visiting with his parents for the holiday and he won’t see this until mid-week at best, but I wanted to write about him today because today is a special day. Today, November 26th, is Dita's birthday. (Yes, the Dit is older than the Weez by just four days, and I love to remind him of that. :-P)

My name is Dita, I’ll be your mistress tonight!

Though I’ve said it before, that line from Madonna’s “Erotica” is where Rich got his name. I remember how he loved that line when the song first came out and it’s just so comical to think of him reciting it.

Like all of us, Rich has his quirks, and they’re all a part of what makes him him. The only quirk I don't like is that he doesn’t like to have his picture taken. He’s very rabid about that, and once he even sicked his niece on me to grab my camera out of my hands and delete one I had just secretly taken. Grrrr! I think the only pictures I’ve ever posted of him here were one’s of his back and an oldie in which I didn’t even mention his presence.

Anyway, just last night he had me giggling like a school girl with some text messages while I was at the Eagle. It’s one of the things I love most about him…he makes me laugh during virtually every conversation.

Happy Birthday Rich...Color Me Barbra!

So anyway, a very happy birthday to my buddy Rich! Hope you’re having a good one! Here’s a special song, by request, in honor of his day. Barbra’s his diva, and so Barbra we shall see and hear…


Somewhere - The Essential Barbra Streisand


Some pictures of the birthday boy!






No comments:

Post a Comment