Saturday, April 26, 2014

A-Z Blogging - Adventure Parks - R is for Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder was Six Flag's Great Adventure's dual racing coaster.  I say "was" because the ride was removed at the end of last season to make room for part of the new Zumanjaro Drop of Doom ride opening this year.  Rolling Thunder was the second of two big additions to the park, debuting in 1979, one year after the then-revolutionary Lightning Loops.




Rolling Thunder was the first wooden coaster at SFGA, and though I was never a huge fan, I did take a ride every time I visited the park.  Last September, I thankfully got to take one last ride on the really-not-so-old coaster before its demise, and it was kind of sad, I must admit.  So here's to Rolling Thunder, a nice coaster with a great name who's time ended much too soon!  Take a ride...


"R" Coaster of the Day - Rebel Yell - 
King's Dominion, Doswell, VA




One of my favorite racing coasters of all time is Rebel Yell at King's Dominion in Virginia.  Of course, every time I ride it, I get the Billy Idol song stuck in my head for hours, and it's not really as fun as it once was, but back in the day, when the two coasters began together in a true race out and back, oh, that was pure joy! Check it out...


Now that we're getting closer to the end of the April A-Z Blogger's Challenge, now would be a great time for you to check out the rest of my posts thus far...















No comments:

Post a Comment