Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A-Z Blogging - Adventure Parks - S is for Six Flags

Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is one of the most well-known amusement park chains in the world. The chain is the world's largest in the industry, owning and operating 18 properties in North America that include theme parks, water parks and family entertainment centers.



The company got its start in 1959 as The Great Southwest Corporation and its first park opened in Arlington, Texas within two years as Six Flags Over Texas.  The Six Flags moniker stands for the six flags of the six different countries that have governed Texas: Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, The United States and the Confederate States of America.  (Source: Wikipedia)

I've spoken much about my home park, Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey, and the brand, like many other corporate brands in America, carries familiarity throughout their properties.  You'll find the Looney Tunes characters in and around all things Six Flags, and many of their roller coasters can be found at several of their parks.


Here's a wicked roller coaster that stil packs a punch and can be found at several Six Flags parks, including Great Adventure, Magic Mountain, Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags St. Louis, and Six Flags Over Georgia. My pal Gary, who just visited Magic Mountain, got to ride the thrilling classic backwards, something they're doing for a limited time both there and in Texas.  I can't imagine!  Anyway, here it is forwards, which is wild enough....


Of course, though I love Six Flags for many reasons, it is the coasters I love the most.  I've only been to one of their parks, and by now you know which one, but I'd love to one day visit them all because they've got a great collection of roller coasters, about 117 in the North American parks by my own unscientific count. In fact, here's one I'd like to try, and it's our "S" Coaster of the Day, Superman Krypton located at Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio.  This one holds the record for the world's tallest loop and I wanna ride...

  "S" Coaster of the Day - Superman Krypton - 
Six Flags Fiesta Texas, San Antonio




Check out Six Flags to see all of their parks up close and personal, and check out my A-R posts in this month of Adventure Parks blogging:

















No comments:

Post a Comment