Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A-Z Blogging: Adventure Parks - A is for Alton Towers

I've been racking my brain for days on a theme for the A-Z Blogger's Challenge and I've finally got it! Since John's World is a little about me and a lot about all of the things that interest me, it only makes sense to do a theme this year on one of my favorite things in the world and that's amusement parks and especially roller coasters.  Since deciding on this theme yesterday, I've been brainstorming topics and parks and coasters and I think I've got a winner here. There are plenty of things to talk about in the amusement world, and maybe even it'll spark me to write a little more for my National Adventure Parks Examiner page.  So without further adieu, let's start with our first entry...



A is for Alton Towers

Alton Towers is an amusement park and resort area located in Staffordshire, England, and it's a place I've long-dreamed of visiting (if I ever get to the U.K.,, of course!).  The park has long been on the cutting edge of roller coaster technology, with 8 coasters, many of which have provided a lot of firsts.  Check out some of these stats:

Air - Short for Aerial Inversion Ride, this steel monster was the world's first B&M (that's short for Bolliger and Mabillard, world-famous coaster manufacturers) "flying coaster," opened in 2002.  Take a ride on Air here.

Nemesis - This ride, Europe's first inverted coaster, make the mouths of any enthusiast water for its twists and turns, oh, and inversions, four of them, as it flies through some beautiful countryside.  Take a ride on Nemesis here.

Oblivion - Another first for this park, Oblivion was the world's very first vertical drop coaster, pausing ever so slightly and leaving riders dangling in sheer terror before being dropped straight down into, well, oblivion. This looks like a wicked, wicked ride!  Check it out...


The Smiler - The newest coaster at Alton Towers is The Smiler, which opened in 2013.  With a thrilling 180 degree drop right from the get-go, a record 14 inversions, 2 lift hills, and plenty of twists, turns and heart-stopping moments, this one looks like it's well worth the trip across the pond.  Take a ride on The Smiler:


That's just four of the amazing eight coasters located at Alton Towers, and enough for me to want to go to England even more than ever before.  Located in what looks to be beautiful countryside about three hours drive northwest of London, I'd definitely have to reserve some time for this side trip should I ever go to visit.  For more on Alton Towers, visit their website here.

The Smiler

"A" Coaster of the Day - Apollo's Chariot, Busch Gardens, Williamsburg

During the A-Z Blogger's Challenge, we will also be featuring point of view videos of roller coasters from around the world to match the letter of the day.  Today's "A" coaster is Apollo's Chariot, located at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Virginia.  It's a hyper-coaster that I've ridden and loved.  Check it out...



Stay tuned for more Adventure Parks on John's World during the A-Z Blogger's Challenge!


2 comments:

  1. What a unique theme, John. You know what - I don't know whether I have the stomach for one of these rides. I'm pushing 50 and have never tried one. Not too late to start, you think? ;)
    Corinne Rodrigues
    Proud to be Arlee's Ambassador:AtoZ Challenge
    Everyday Gyaan and From 7Eight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think it's time to try! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete