Sunday, March 13, 2011

March 13, 2011 - Splash Saturdays

Happy Sunday…it’s now Daylight Savings Time and I think we’re all going to be a little off because of it for the next few days. It’s okay, though, because now the days will be longer giving us the feeling like we’re that much closer to the warmer months. Yay! Now where to start???

Music in the Car, Finally

After almost five months of having to listen to my iPod through headphones while in my car, I’ve finally freed myself of that inconvenience. Yesterday I had my new car stereo installed, with an auxiliary plug which my older one didn’t have. What a nice feeling to be free of the wires!

Splash


Katy Perry wows em at Splash

Sometimes I’m not sure what draws me to Splash every week. I’ve always liked to go clubbing and in recent years the Long Island club scene has been abysmal at best. With the exception of the summer months, there’s really no good place to go out here (I can’t wait to go back to the Grove again!). I don’t like staying home alone, and my friends are beyond their clubbing years, so I go it alone.

I’ve been going to Splash regularly since the end of last summer. After spending Saturday nights on Fire Island all summer, I just couldn’t bring myself to return to the Bunkhouse again. Splash is one of the most well-known clubs in the city and I’d been there before, so once Fire Island had closed for the season it was weekends at Splash for me. Going there is slowly becoming old hat and I’m definitely yearning for something different.

Ever since that night in October when I met him, going to Splash has been bittersweet for me. It’s the place where I met him so his spirit definitely haunts me when I’m there. Going to Splash on the weekend kind of sucks, too! I guess they know there’s always going to be a crowd, so the music is way too clubbish for my taste. Club music is okay sometimes, but often the highs that get you going slow down to awkward moments of everyone kinda standing around not knowing what to do with themselves. I hate that!

I’ve found during my vacation weeks that Tuesdays and Thursdays are the best nights for music there. Both are themed nights, “Twink Tuesdays” and “Campus Thursdays,” so obviously they both attract a younger crowd than on the weekends. Us ‘older’ folks (I’m not old, nah!) work for a living and we have to reserve our fun for the weekends, but when I’ve had the opportunity to go on either of these nights, I’ve always had great fun.


Ad for Twink Tuesdays at Splash

Weekend nights at Splash are definitely a crapshoot. I’ve had both good and bad experiences on Fridays and Saturdays, and I can say with certainty that the music is usually what makes it good or bad for me. On Saturday nights, downstairs is always the place for the good stuff, musically. The only problem there is that there’s not too much space for dancing, especially when it gets too crowded, which it often does. I once had an argument with the deejay because he said I was knocking into his setup, which I wasn’t. They’ve since moved him to another area to make room for more dancers.


F-Word Fridays at Splash

Last Night

Last night was a strange night, but overall it was good. Since we changed the clocks, the night would be an hour shorter than normal, something that I always hated as a club goer. When I got there I followed my normal routine, going downstairs to my favorite bartender for a starter and then heading back upstairs to dance. When I got upstairs, though, the music absolutely sucked! I waded around the crowd for more than a half an hour waiting for something I could dance to. It was no use. I headed back downstairs to hang for awhile.

I returned to the main floor about an hour later and the deejay finally started playing something I could dance to. It was today’s “Song of the Day”, Ne-Yo’s “Closer” and I quickly jumped into the fray on the dance floor. As is always the case with me, this is how I meet people.

As I was getting my groove on, there was a guy and a girl dancing right next to me. He was tall, blond and cute, and she was a short, chubby Latina with big, big hair. It was her whom I made contact with first (flying hair notwithstanding!) . As the song got to the chorus, we sang at the top of our lungs to each other and proceeded to get down to the music. That’s when he jumped in.

His name was Eric and he definitely liked me, though according to Lisa (the Latina), he was straight. Though I thought they were friends, it turns out they had just met that night after seeing some sort of show and she suggested they come to Splash for a drink as she suspected he might play for our team. I think she was secretly hoping that he wasn’t, as I could sense her disappointment at his attention towards me.

Once a couple of songs had finished, we moved over to the bar where they each got themselves a drink and we were able to chat. Eric was definitely gay and definitely drunk! He was whispering sweet nothings into my ear, but I didn’t want to leave Lisa out and so I turned to include her in the conversation. That’s when Eric made his way towards one of the dancers dancing on a platform nearby, giving both of us a chuckle at his drunken ogling.

We spoke for a bit and then I decided to go back downstairs for a drink. (I only go to one bartender, who I’ll tell you about another time!) I excused myself and left Lisa to go grab Eric again. The music downstairs was hot as always…they were playing Chris Brown’s “Yeah 3X” and I moseyed on over to dance. While I was dancing, Lisa and Eric walked by…I think they were looking for me, but I can’t be sure. I tried getting their attention as they walked by. Lisa didn’t catch me, but Eric turned around and gave me a big smile and a high five. He was way too drunk! It was the last I’d see of the two of them.

Overall, it was a good night. Although sometimes I hate going to clubs alone, it’s really the only way I ever get the chance to meet new people, which is sometimes fun, and always entertaining.

For the first time in a long time, I drove home without a thought of him. Though he’s still in there, I think he’s thankfully starting to fade into memory. I’m starting to realize that I never really had a chance with him and maybe its better that it ended so soon. It sucks that he grabbed a piece of my heart in the process, but that’s just life, isn’t it? I just wish summer would come soon so that I can take a break from going there so much. Stay tuned …

Finally, here's one of my favorite club songs. It's called "Let Me Think About It" by Ida Corr and it's awesome! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment