Wednesday, March 23, 2011

March 23, 2011 - Happy Hump Day!

Happy Hump Day! We’re now back on the downward trajectory towards the weekend, thank goodness. It’s funny, but early on in the week I always say to myself that I’m only going to go out one night the following weekend, but once I’ve worked a couple of days I can’t wait to go out and I usually end up going out both nights. Oh well, we’ll just have to see. Here's what's going on in my head today:

Yahoo Featured Contributor – On to the next step!



Great news! I received an email today from Yahoo Contributor Network saying that they liked what they saw in my application to be a Featured Music Contributor and I’ve moved on to the next step in the process. Already I can see that this program will be much more stringent than the earlier one, but the prospect of getting it means more exposure and exciting opportunities ahead.

I was asked to do a test feature story comparing two aspects of music. The subject can be bands, genres, time periods, etc. I have until Sunday the 27th to write it and if it gets accepted I will be thereby accepted into the program, so the pressure is on! My first thoughts are to do a piece comparing Lady GaGa with Madonna at this stage of her career. Since today’s generation seems to think that GaGa’s the next best thing, I’d like to actually look for myself and see where the two compare at respective stages of their career. What do you think? I’d love to hear feedback on whether or not you think this would generate readers.

Writing

I thought it was going to happen today, but I just fell short of hitting the 300K mark on Y!CN. As of this morning I hit 299,987 page views. I’m sure by this moment I’ve already hit that mark and considering how long it took me to get from 200 to 250K, this is amazing. Much of it is due to my Top Ten Valentine’s Day Songs, which was featured for about two weeks in early February. It just goes to show you what exposure can do for your page views and your earnings.

For those of you not in the know, Google has recently changed their algorithm concerning its searches. The purpose was to weed out the dime a dozen crap stories that are out there, and unfortunately the move has hit many of us who freelance online. The change happened just a few short weeks ago and many of us at Y!CN have seen our page views taking big hits as a result, myself included.

I haven’t been publishing too much on either Examiner or Y!CN lately because I’ve been taking assignments at another site that I work for. The site is called “Textbroker” and what they doo is put out calls for articles from their clients. When I use that site, I look through dozens of calls from website owners looking for content for their pages on any of various topics. The assignments are one shot deals and I don’t usually ever get to see what I’ve written there online. It’s a quick and easy way (sometimes) to make quick cash which is what I need to do for the upcoming summer.

Here are some of the pieces I’ve written in the past week.

On Y!CN:

Pop Music News Weekly, March 22nd

This week’s stories include the death of singer Loleatta Holloway; Chris Brown’s outburst on the set of GMA and news on an upcoming all star relief album for Japan.

Keys to Life#4 – Make a Difference

The latest in the series, and so far my favorite. Please check it out if you haven’t already.

On Examiner:

Food and drink at Smithtown’s Restaurant Week and the Spring Beer Fest

Splash Bar, NYC

An objective and informative piece about the famous gay club.

Stalker Update

Well, after my newest visit on Monday by Fuzzy, some friends convinced me to finally call the police. I really didn’t want it to go this far, but since he came back after I warned him I realized that my friends were right. A really nice officer came by and I told him my story and he took a report. He advised me that though there is no set number of times you have to be bothered to file a complaint, I should probably do so if he comes around again.

The officer called him from the patrol car and told him to leave me alone. At first he told the cop that he had no idea who I was, but when the cop told him he got his number off of my cell phone he clammed up. What a creep!

I felt better afterwards, but knowing what happened after the last time I’m going to be feeling guarded at best for at least a little while. I’ve gone back to staggering the times that I get home from work and keeping an eye out for his car in the area of my house. My worst fear is that he’ll pull up when I’m getting out of my car. I just hope that it’s over.

Well that’s all I have for right now. As always, thanks for reading. Here’s another video from Kylie off of her “X” CD. It was the biggest hit off of the album and its typical dancy Kylie style. I’m hoping to go see her again this May at Hammerstein Ballroom and I can’t wait! Enjoy!


Kylie Minogue - WOW by Elo_pitchounne56

No comments:

Post a Comment