Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Song of the Day - F**k You - Lilly Allen



Today's "Song of the Day" is by one of my favorite singers in recent months. I first heard of Lilly Allen when she put out her biggest US hit, "Smile" a few years back, and never really thought much about her until I heard this one. My boss at the flower shop introduced it to me and I loved it the very first time I heard it. I've since become a big Lilly Allen fan.

The song was written as a goodbye message to our former President, George W.Bush, and of course I found it entirely appropriate. I especially like the song's message of acceptance of gays, too! In fact, the video I'm sharing here was put together by a gay rights group in either England or Australia (I'm not really sure). It's called the "big fat gay collaboration" and it's amusing to watch.

Another brilliant aspect of the song is its contrasts. Of course, the chorus is vulgar, but the music is, like so many other Allen songs, very sunshiney and light. It's also fun, I will admit, to be able to sing those words in this way, especially when you're thinking of someone in particular you'd just love to say it to! So, if you don't know the song, take a listen, and if you do, simply relive it!

No comments:

Post a Comment