Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Stalker Update

Stalker Redux

As I mentioned the other day, I’ve unfortunately got someone who seems to be a little obsessed with me and has begun to scare me more than just a little. After last Thursday’s incident in which the jerk showed up at my doorstep and rang my cell phone, I’ll admit I put it in the back of my mind…until yesterday.

Yesterday was a carpool day and I did not have to drive to work. I was dropped off around 4:30 by my carpool buddy Kim. I knew that I had a couple of errands to run, so the plan was to run in, drop my stuff off, use the restroom and head back out. I unlocked my door and went inside to drop my things in the kitchen and then headed upstairs to the bathroom.

While I was in there, I heard a knock at the front door. I just knew it was him! My heart began to race as his knocks got louder and louder and then I heard him try to push the door open. Thank God I’ve got an old door that has a hard time staying closed when unlocked, otherwise he would have entered. He pushed on the door a couple of times as I watched him from the top of my stairs, my heart skipping a mile a minute.

I laid low until he finally gave up and left. Afterwards I was afraid to leave the house, constantly peering out the window for any signs of him. All I could think of to do at first was put something on my FB page just to let people know just in case. That’s one of the things I like about FB...within minutes I had several friends jump in with suggestions: call the police, file a restraining order, don’t take this lightly, etc.

I called my buddy Rich and told him what happened. He’s known the story from last year and he was pissed by the intrusion.

“You should have gone to the door and told his ass off!”

That’s probably what I should have done, but I was too nervous and he left before I worked up the nerve. Rich suggested I call him. He sensed my trepidation at that suggestion.

“Text him!”, he retorted.

“Good idea,” I agreed. Together, we put together a text that was direct and to the point. It went:

Drew, I know you’ve been at my house twice now. I need for you to stop coming by. The next time I see you outside I’m going to call the police. John

I felt better after that. Knowing the sort of meek, wimpy guy he is, I figured it would work. He never answered the text. As time went on and my status remained on FB, I continued to get more responses. At work today I told a couple of friends, and between the two I started to realize that this is not a situation to take lightly. After all, I remember Amy Fisher. One of my friends convinced me to make a call to the police.

They said, as I would have expected them to, that there wasn’t anything they could do now, but the next time he shows up at my house I should call 911. That didn’t make me feel any better. As the work day came closer to an end, I started to get nervous about coming home. You see, I know a little about his situation: He is unemployed, as far as I know, and his partner works full time. That is why it is the afternoon when he pays his visits. I knew that coming home from work would tell me whether or not my text worked.

I dilly-dallied around before heading home, but eventually I had no choice. It is now almost 7:30 and nothing…no strange visits. Though I’m hoping it has ended before it got any worse, I’m still a little shaken. But at least I’m aware now, and I know that if I see that car in front of my house or hear that knock at my door, I’m making that phone call. I just hope it doesn’t come to that.

With all that’s been going on in my life lately, this is the last thing I need! So for now I’ll keep on laying low, hoping for the best but being alert for Fuzzy Drew at least for awhile. I don’t like this. I don’t like this one bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment