Saturday, December 29, 2012

Clubbing in NYC and Long Island Christmas Week

Last night, my friend Paul and I went into the city for one of our occasional nights of clubbing. It was the first time I'd been to the city in a couple of weeks and since it was a Friday night, we were planning on hitting bars in Hell's Kitchen, the newest gay hot spot in Manhattan.  This area of the West Side, just outside of Times Square, is teeming with clubs and bars and we planned on hitting at least a couple of them.

For the first time in awhile, I was excited to go dancing again.  In the past I would have already been out a few times during the break, but for whatever reason, visits with friends, working, lack of funds, writing, etc., I haven't gone out like I used to.


Penthaus at the Copacabana

Our first stop for the evening was the opening of an all new Friday night club at the Copacabana on 47th Street.  Penthaus is the newest 'gay dance party' by Alan Pincus and Justin Luke's BoiParty, and from the looks of just the line as we approached, this one was gonna be packed.


The line went quickly, thankfully, because it was absolutely freezing out, and before you knew it, we were up on the third floor of the Copa at a packed Penthaus.  The place was gorgeous, with two giant rooms, one with a dance floor and the rooftop area, complete with seating and a big bar.


The crowd was pretty, and brought to mind the image of Chelsea Queens, only this wasn't Chelsea.  One dude was prettier than the next, and the ones that weren't pretty thought they were.  Needless to say there was a lot of attitude in this very crowded venue.  The only other bright spot other than the place itself was the music, spun by the fabulous Scotty Rox.

After about an hour and a half, and a couple of way overpriced drinks, we decided to head on out of there.  I wanted to try another new bar, Hardware, but the drinks had emptied my pockets quicker than I expected, so we hopped down one block to my always go-to place, The Ritz.


Putting on The Ritz

I love The Ritz!  It is always jam-packed with people and it's very hard to move around in, but the music is always slamming and the crowd is always good looking and never snooty (see above!).  Last night was their final Flex Friday of the year and we got there around 1:30 AM and stayed until the wee hours, and as usual, the music was fierce and the crowd friendly.  I just may have to do a piece on the place for Examiner.  They like to call their patrons Ritzians, which I absolutely love...I guess I'm one!

Oops...I almost forgot about Circus Wednesday and Ruby's B'day Bash

I almost forgot that I had gone out on Wednesday night, as well.  Today is my friend Ozzie/Ruby's birthday and she had a big birthday celebration at Lizard Lounge the other night.  Though it was very cold, windy and rainy, I traipsed out for my friend...ugh...to be a part of his night.



The show was extra long and featured all of the resident drag queens, Sassy Temptress, Saline Dijon, Savannah Monroe, and others.  Savannah, who loves Katy Perry, went all out and gets my vote for best dressed (see below).  Unfortunately for me, I got sick all of a sudden and had to leave during Ruby's second performance.  Ah, well, I was cold and tired anyway.

Check out Savannah's outfit...very cool!


Nuts & Bolts is back!

I also forgot all about last Saturday, too, when I returned to Nuts & Bolts, which had been closed for almost a month after its grand opening.  I went with my pal Blanche, who had missed the opening because he was out of town, and I'm glad to say it's still getting a nice crowd.  There was a fear that being closed for so long would have killed it a bit, but as I said in my two pieces about the place, it was needed!  Yay!

Well, I guess I did do substantial clubbing this week after all!  Anyway, happy birthday to Ruby and Ozzie...and as always, thanks for reading!

1 comment: