Saturday, December 22, 2012

Rihanna's 'Unapologetic' Track Reviews: 'Love Without Tragedy/Mother Mary'



Red lipstick, rose petals, heartbreak
I was his Marilyn Monroe
Brown eyes, tuxedos, fast cars
A James Dean on the low
Dean on the low

One of my favorite tracks on Unapologetic is actually two songs in one.  The first part, Love Without Tragedy is inevitably connected to Ri-Ri's connection to Chris Brown, with whom she shared a love tragedy in the not to distant past.  The mid tempo tune is pleasant and melodic, but this seven-minute track really gets dramatic at the beginning of Mother Mary, a little past the two-minute mark.  

The second mini-song of this set is raw and emotional, a little bit act of contrition...

Mother Mary
I swear I want to change
Mister Jesus
I'd love to be a queen
But I'm from, the left side of an island
Never thought this many people, would even know my name
As time flies, way above me
For you I've cried, tears sea deep
Oh glory, the prayers carry me

  I don't know what it is, but I absolutely love this very dramatic song.  This second part of the track lasts almost a full five minutes and the strings, along with the confessional vocals are simply hypnotic!   Please check out Love Without Tragedy/Mother Mary.

And please see my track reviews of the first ten tracks off Unapologetic:


Diamonds

Numb

Pour It Up

Loveeeeee Song

Jump

Right Now

What Now

Stay

Nobody's Business

Unapologetic - Rihanna



No comments:

Post a Comment