Friday, December 14, 2012

Flashback Friday Song of the Day - Hot Stuff/Bad Girls - Donna Summer


Today's Flashback Friday Song of the Day is actually two songs. In remembrance and honor of the late, great Donna Summer, who was name as an inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, we feature two songs that have always gone together naturally anyway.

Donna's Bad Girls was a landmark album, one of the first and most illustrious disco albums to be considered as such.  The album played like a live set at Studio 54, each masterfully written and performed track blending seamlessly into one another, and one of the most identifiable mixes and two of the biggest hits are found below.

I remember when Donna Summer was at her biggest, around the late 70's/early 80's, and songs from this album were played on the radio everywhere.  Hot Stuff and Bad Girls had some very adult themes, those of which Donna temporarily tried to distance herself from in later years when she found God.  But eventually she knew she had to include these classics in her live shows, and performed them plenty of times, one of which was at Jones Beach  sometime in the 2000's, and I got to see it.  It was the only time I ever saw her in concert, and it was spectacular.  Donna had a voice like no other, equally beautiful and powerful.

I recall her concert tour for this album being covered on 20/20, or something like that.  I remember seeing the concert scenes and watching little snippets of the street walker choreography for this one.  I was only fifteen or so at the time and I was too young to go to such a show, but I dreamed of it.

In honor of that memory, I tried to find vintage performances of both songs, preferably together, which I couldn't find, though if I eventually do I may post them here one day.  The first video is a vintage concert performance circa 1980, during the time I spoke of earlier.  The second is dubbed the "official video" for the song, but I found out that it was from a television special sometime during that same era.  It features Twiggy, Debralee Scott and Pat Ast (?).  Anyway, I thought it was cool.  Enjoy!





DONNA SUMMER - BAD GIRLS (marlozvideomix) by MARLOZROCKBAR2

Bad Girls - Donna Summer



No comments:

Post a Comment