Sunday, December 22, 2013

John's World Top 30 Dance/Club Songs of 2013, Part 3: The Top Ten

Happy New Year 2014 to all of my fellow dance music fans.  For the third year in a row I've decided to tackle my 30 favorite dance/club songs of the year 2013.  Please keep in mind that though I've checked out a lot of other top dance song lists for the year, my tastes are different and unique to me, and so the songs you see here may or may not be included in what the 'experts' say. 

Like last year, I will be posting these in three separate posts of ten songs, in descending order.  Here is the final post, the top ten.  But first, take a look at #'s 30 to 11:


#30 - Don't You Worry Child - Swedish House Mafia
#29 - Clarity - Zedd
#28 - Controversy - Natalia Kills
#27 - Far Away From Home - will.i.am
#26 - Wild - Jessie J
#25 - Woman's World - Cher
#24 - Applause - Lady Gaga
#23 - Bangerz - Miley Cyrus
#22 - Scream & Shout - will.i.am, with Britney Spears
#21 - Give It 2 U - Robin Thicke
#20 - Let Me love You (Until You Learn to Love Yourself) - Ne-Yo
#19 - Gettin' Dumb - will.i.am
#18 - Lay me Down - Avicii
#17 - I Like How It Feels - Enrique Iglesias
#16 - You Make Me - Avicii
#15 - Walking On Air - Katy Perry
#14 - Donatella - Lady Gaga
#13 - Addicted to You - Avicii
#12 - Come n' Get It - Selena Gomez
#11 - Timber - Pitbull and Ke$ha

As always, comments are appreciated.  And here we go...



#10 - Don't Stop the Party - Pitbull

Are y'all havin' a good time?

One of Pit's faster moving tracks always gets everybody up and dancing whenever it's played.


Pitbull - 'Don't Stop the Party' by Codebear2

#9 - Summertime Sadness - Lana del Ray

Ooh, Miss Lana!!!  When I first heard all of the buzz about her I just downloaded her whole Born to Die album without so much as a listen, and I was overwhelmingly disappointed.  But then over the summer I started hearing the remix version of this track and she at least redeemed herself with one song!  I can't find the remix on audio or video, but here's the original:


Lana Del Rey - Summertime Sadness (Radio Mix Extended Version) HQ from Charlie78 on Vimeo.



#8 - Somebody Loves You - Betty Who

Who can forget that flash mob wedding proposal video from a couple of months back?  That's what got me to love this happy, dancey tune.  Check out the vid right here.

#7 - I Love It - Icona Pop

I got this feeling on a summer day when you were gone
I crashed my car into the bridge. I watched, I let it burn.
I threw your shit into a bag and pushed it down the stairs.
I crashed my car into the bridge.

I don't care, I love it.
I don't care.


One of the biggest dance anthems of the summer, which channeled 1980's Bananarama.Check it out on John's World.



#6 - Work B**ch - Britney Spears

I just featured this one the other day as Song of the Day.  It took awhile to grow on me, but grow on me it did!  

#5 - Blurred Lines - Robin Thicke, featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers 

I chose this one as the #1 pop song of 2013, but I couldn't make it the #1 dance club, too, if only for how sick I became of it after hearing it way too often.  The song, very reminiscent of 1980's Prince, is a great, funky dance tune, so I'lll leave it at #5.

#4 - That Power - will.i.am, featuring Justin Bieber

I loved will.i.am's #willpower and I absolutely love this bass-heavy track that was made specifically for dance floors.  It really is a good tune, even if you don't love the Biebs.  Check it out:


Will.i.am - That Power ft. Justin Bieber (Audio) by MulticulturalTV

#3 - Get Lucky - Daft Punk

Vintage disco reincarnated!  This one was almost as popular as Blurred Lines, another song with a vintage feel, but this one to me was just a wee bit more authentic.  Perhaps it has something to do with Nile Rodgers.



Daft Punk Feat Pharrell Williams & Nile Rodgers - Get Lucky (Official Reworked by #djClaudioVizu) from Claudio Vizu on Vimeo.

#2 - Dark Horse - Katy Perry, featuring Juicy J

Anyone who knows me personally knows how much I love this one.  Ever since the first time hearing it, I fell in love with the eerily dark and funky track off Katy's Prism album.  I've talked about the song enough on here, so now let's check it out...

So you wanna play with magic...
dark horse - katy perry full (lyric video) from belen on Vimeo.



#1 - Wake Me Up - Avicii

Far and away the most unique and in my opinion best, dance song of the year is the now classic Wake Me Up, by Avicii.  The song is wonderfully arranged and produced, the lyrics are moving and poignant, the vocals magnificently reminiscent of Tracy Chapman, and the combination of a slamming dance track with some square dance folly are ingenious.  Check it out...
Avicii ft Aloe Blacc - Wake Me Up (Junior Senna & M Torrez Tribal Remix - Tony Mendes Video Re-Edit) from Tony Mendes on Vimeo.

So there you go!  My choices for the thirty best dance/club songs of the year.  I hope you've found something within to whet your dance music appetite.  I know I have!  Be sure to check out some of my choices for the past two years, as well, and my Yahoo piece for the best in pop music for the year 2013.

2013 

The Top Twenty Pop Songs of 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment