Thursday, April 7, 2011

Song of the Day Special - ABBA times two!


Today's "Song of the Day" was inspired by a Facebook friend of mine, deejay Ted Nieves. I don't know Ted too well, but he's from the Bronx, which is where I'm originally from, so he's already cool. Ted post a lot of videos on his page, like I do, and oftentimes he sticks with ann artist or two throughout an evening.

Earlier tonight Ted started off with a couple of Donna Summer songs, and then he went into Abba. I LOVE ABBA! Their music was always so much fun and Joe and I spent many a night listening and enjoying the Swedish Fab Four. Apparently, Ted recently saw the new Broadway musical version of the hit gay movie, "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert,"and he mentioned how the new show omitted the ABBA songs that had been featured in the movie.

One of the best things I liked about the movie were the scenes featuring the music of ABBA. They always gave me a smile whenever the movie came to those parts, and I had seen from research on an article I had done that this was true: there were no ABBA tunes on the soundtrack.

So Ted posted a couple of videos, including two of my favorites, "Knowing Me, Knowing You" and "Waterloo." I got to thinking why I haven't yet put an ABBA song as "Song of the Day" before, and so since Ted put them in my head, I figured I'd feature the two songs today.



The first one, "Waterloo," is such fun. I remember it from my teenage years and it always gave me a rise. The clip below is not the original video from ABBA, but a scene from another Australian film, "Muriel's Wedding." In this scene, Muriel, played by Toni Collette and her friend, played by the wonderful Rachell Griffiths, are on holiday and decide to perform the song at the karaoke contest in their hotel. The scene is utterly fun! Check it out:



The second song is so sad. It's called "Knowing Me, Knowing You," and it was recorded during the the time when both couples in the group were separating. The melancholy tune of love faded away is a genuine treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment