Monday, April 4, 2011

April 4th, 2011 - A defining post!



“Traveling down this road
Watching the signs as I go
I think I'll follow the sun
Isn't everyone just
Traveling down their own road
Watching the signs as they go
I think I'll follow my heart
It's a very good place to start”


I posted these words on my Facebook page earlier tonight. They’re from Madonna’s song “Sky Fits Heaven,” which is from her 1998 “Ray of Light” album. To me, it’s one of her best albums and this is one of my favorite tunes off of it. As I listened to the words for the umpteenth time, something clicked inside of me.

For a long time I’ve been thinking about this blog and how to define it. Many of my friends who run blogs all have a niche they write in. My niche has been hard to define. For months, my tag line has been “I’m just a regular guy trying to get through life…” Well, yeah, that’s true, but how am I getting through it? What’ exactly is my journey and how and why do I share it here? The answer for me lies within these lyrics.

We all travel down our own roads. I believe that probably more so than most, and I live my life in my own way, never worrying about conforming to expectations. I am always following the sun, looking for my own happiness, whatever that may be and I’m not usually afraid to try. Of course, signs are all around us, all around me as I travel down the road of my life and more often than not it is my heart rather than my head that I follow. Whether or not things go the way that I want them to, I’ll never waver in my journey, and for that I’ll have no regrets.

So what is this blog about? It’s about me. It’s about all of the things and the people and the places that I encounter along my way, and the signs that I choose whether or not to obey. Right or wrong, I am me, and I’m living my life the best way I know how. In a way, I’m slowly painting a picture of the landscape of my life through the words and images I share here, and I hope it serves others somehow.

I’m going to continue to share myself with those of you who continue to read this blog. I’ll continue to share the songs and the music I love so much. I’ll continue to talk about the people in my life who help to shape what it is and what it will become, good or bad. And I’ll continue to impart my feelings on the world as I see it, for its troubles and its beauty. This is my long-awaited mission statement.

A friend of mine, fellow writer Jolie Du Pre, has been posting daily acknowledgements on Facebook of the people in her writing circle who she appreciates, and this was what she posted today:

April 4 - John Myers is a kind and gentle soul who always makes me smile. What more can I say? He's just cool like that.



What more can I say? I guess I must be doing something right! Thanks to Jolie for putting this out there. The feeling is totally mutual! And thank you to all who’ve been reading this blog. The daily hits have been increasing steadily and I can’t believe that I’ve gotten this far with a blog. I really appreciate it and I hope you continue to read and continue to enjoy my music, my stories, my opinions and all the rest of my reactions to the signs as I travel down my road, and thank you especially to Madonna for putting these wonderful words to song and for inspiring me always!


A little side story about the song:

There was a day back in June of 2000 when Joe and I were in Italy for the first time. We were staying at a villa on the Amalfi Coast overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea and we had just arrived a couple of hours before. The sky was dark and overcast, very menacing, and I was filming the view from our terrace. In the video, you can hear the equally haunting music of the song in the background of the video.

I always think of that mystical day every time I hear the song. It fit extremely well with the scene and I only wish that I could share it here, but it was 2000 and so it was on videotape. Maybe one day I’ll figure out a way to do it!

Here are the lyrics to "Sky Fits Heaven":

Sky fits heaven so fly it
That's what the prophet said to me
Child fits mother so hold your baby tight
That's what my future could see

Fate fits karma so use it
That's what the wise man said to me
Love fits virtue so hold on to the light
That's what our future will be

[Chorus:]

Traveling down this road
Watching the signs as I go
I think I'll follow the sun
Isn't everyone just
Traveling down their own road
Watching the signs as they go
I think I'll follow my heart
It's a very good place to start

Traveling down my own road
Watching the signs as I go
Traveling down my own road
And I'm watching the signs as they go

Traveling, traveling
Watching the signs as I go

Hand fits giving so do it
That's what the Gospel said to me
Life fits living so let your judgments go
That's how our future should be

[chorus]



No comments:

Post a Comment