Sunday, August 28, 2011

August 28th, 2011 : 12:41 AM Irene Update


12:41 AM
I know it's dark, but here's one of the trees at the end of my driveway, with a streetlamp shining behind.

Well I’m all cozy in my living room downstairs now, with my pillow and blankie on the couch and the AC on full blast. I figured it’s safer to sleep on the ground floor in case a tree should fall on my house. I heard an 11 year-old kid somewhere down south was killed today when a tree fell on to his apartment building, and so I made the decision to spend the night downstairs. Before heading to bed, I decided to take a look at the weather update so I know what to expect.

Of course, there’s wall to wall coverage on virtually every channel, which I don’t mind at this point, but finding the actual forecast took a lot of patience. Here’s what they’re saying for the NY Metropolitan Area:

The northernmost part of the storm is already here, which is evident outside. The winds have picked up and it’s pouring at the moment. They’re saying we’re getting the strongest winds so far here on LI, with gusts already over 40mph. The weather’s going to steadily worsen until about 3 AM, when the hurricane force winds and rain will officially start arriving. The bad stuff is supposed to last for nine hours, until about noon, and then things will dissipate to calm by afternoon.

Though I’m not scared at the moment, I am afraid of what’s to come during the night. I stepped outside before for a cigarette and the trees were swaying back and forth as if they were blades of grass. It made me realize just hopw small we really are. Well, I’m going to TRY and get some sleep before I’m woken up again by what I know will be horrible noises. I just hope the power stays on! Be safe!


No comments:

Post a Comment