Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Song of the Day - Solid - Ashford & Simpson


Photo Source: in.com

Today's "Song of the Day" is dedicated to Nick Ashford, who passed away yesterday at the age of 70. Ashford was one half of the singing/songwriting duo Ashford and Simpson, together with his wife Valerie Simpson. The two of them were best known for the many hit records they penned for others, including the Marvin Gaye and Tammie Terrell's/Diana Ross' hit "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," Chaka Kahn's "I'm Every Woman," and "You're All I Need to Get By."

Though the two of them wrote a lot of music for others, they also wrote and performed for themselves on occasion. They put out several albums between the 70's and 90's, having their biggest success with this one, "Solid." The song is a positive one, and it resonated with a lot of people because this particular couple, notwithstanding their strikingly opposite statures (Ashford towered like a foot above his wife), had a love that was "solid as a rock." You could always see the love between the two whenever they appeared together. They had been married for 38 years when Ashford died.

I'm especially sad about Ashford's death because I was a big fan of their music in the early 80's. I had the album before "Solid," called "High Rise," and I loved it. I even saw them perform once at MSG, as part of a concert marathon called the "Budweiser Superfest." They had lots of energy, from what I remember, and they were one of the highlights of that show for me.

So anyway, if you're too young to remember this song, take a listen. It's really a good, uplifting tune. And if you do know it, press play and enjoy the memories!

R.I.P. Nick Ashford


Solid - Solid



No comments:

Post a Comment