Monday, February 11, 2013

Music News Bytes: Adele Spanks Chris Brown; JT Does R&B in B&W; Ri-Ri's 'Stay' Video Premiere

Music News Bytes is a collection of short news items that I follow on the Web.  If you're into the same type of music I am, that is pop, dance, R&B, and such, check it out...

Adele Spanks Mr. Brown

Well the big story of the day today, of course, was the Grammy Awards and all the little side stories that came out in its aftermath.  I found one particularly interesting, one that involved the unlikely trio of Chris Brown, Frank Ocean, and Adele.

A photo appeared today on the Facebook page of my friend Dane McFadden, one that was taken last night just after Ocean had won an award for Best Urban Contemporary Album, a category in which Brown had also been nominated. The photo shows Ocean getting up to accept his Grammy, with everyone else around him standing and applauding, that is everyone else except Brown, who can be seen directly behind the winner in his seat with a not-so-happy look on his face.

 Adele, Chris Brown, Frank Ocean

It was after that when the British songstress confronted the sore loser, apparently giving him a good scolding for being so rude.  Though cameras never picked up what Mama Adele said to the brat, you can clearly see that Brown had met his match.  You go girl!  (For more on the story, check out metro.co.uk)

Adele, Chris Brown

J.T. Does R&B in B&W

Looking all dapper in suit and tie, and magically transformed into black and white, Justin Timberlake did a two-song set that made me even more nervous about how I'm going to like his upcoming The 20/20 Experience.  The first song he did was the album's debut single, Suit n Tie, which to me is not very memorable and waaaayyyyy too much rhythm and blues.  I'm not saying I don't like R&B, but I prefer dancey stuff, like a lot of what he put out on FutureSexLoveSound.  


The second song, called Pusher Love Girl, was very similar.  Oh it's smooth and it's good for what it is, but it doesn't make me as excited as I was upon hearing that JT was back.  Anybody else feel that way?  Anyway, the performance was good, with Jay-Z joining in on the first and some smooth moves by JT throughout.

By the way, I came across a review, with audio, of another new song by Justin called Mirrors.  The track is 8 minutes long, but as the reviewer says, this one sounds much more like old Justin.  Check out the review, and the song, on Popcrush.  Justin did another song at his pre-Super Bowl gig last week...another R&Bish ballad called That Girl, which I kinda like.  Check that one out here.   Ooh, I can't wait to review this album!

New Music

I love the prospect of new music, especially when everything I've got in my iTunes library seems old.  More tidbits have leaked out on new stuff from J-Lo, Destiny's Child, Eminem, and a brand new song by Depeche Mode, Heaven, which you can check out on zap2it. It's a little dark, not unlike old Depeche Mode stuff, but maybe just a wee bit darker...


Ri-Ri's 'Stay' Video Debuts

I'm very excited to announce that Rihanna has debuted her new video for the song Stay, which is one of my favorites off of Unapologetic.  The video for the haunting duet with Mikky Ekko features our star nekkid in a bathtub for mostly all of the four-minute clip, and it's somehow pretty poignant.  Check it out on Eonline.

No comments:

Post a Comment