Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Music News Bytes: Mariah's New Song; Gaga Cancels Tour; R.I.P. Mindy McCready

Music News Bytes is a collection of short news items that I follow on the Web.  If you're into the same type of music I am, that is pop, dance, R&B, and such, check it out...

There hasn't been too much going on in the world of pop music this week, but here are a couple of stories that piqued my interest:


Mariah's Got a New Song

Mariah Carey has released a new song, which is the first single from the soundtrack to the upcoming film, Oz The Great and Powerful. The tune is called Almost Home and it's an inspirational mid-tempo track that I actually liked the very first time I heard it.  The song was released this morning on iTunes and you can check out an audio preview of it at Neon Limelight. Carey is currently working on the video for the song, as well as her 11th studio album, which is due out later this year.

Gaga Cancels Remainder of Tour

As you've probably heard by now, Lady Gaga has cancelled the remaining dates on her Born This Way Ball Tour after announcing that she needs to have surgery to repair a damaged right hip.  The injury was caused by some of the repetitive and rigorous movements the singer does in the show.  The timing of this is ironic since I'd just penned a piece for Yahoo on the eccentric timing of Gaga's tours, noting that the album she had been currently promoting is now two years old and her next set, ARTPOP, is due out within months.  She'd been scheduled to appear at Madison Square Garden this coming weekend and I was hoping to catch it, but what can you do?  Here's to a speedy recovery and to hoping that the ARTPOP Ball will start out somewhere in this vicinity somewhat soon.

In the meantime, check out Gaga's Eccentric Timing as Born This Way Ball Draws to a Close.  The timing of this story turned out to be perfect, as the singer's announcement, which was not included in my original piece, was made in time for me to update before publication. Phew!

Mindy McCready
Angela Weiss/Getty Images

R.I.P. Mindy McCready

The country music world is mourning the passing of troubled star Mindy McCready, who died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound on Sunday.  From initial reports, the incident seems to be related to the passing of her boyfriend David Wilson about a month ago.  Though I do not follow country music, I have heard of the singer and am deeply saddened by her tragic passing.  McCready was 37 years of age, and she and I shared the same birthday...Read more on the story at EOnline.


No comments:

Post a Comment