Saturday, February 2, 2013

Black History Month Song of the Day - I Wish I Didn't Miss You - Angie Stone

February is Black History Month, and I'd like to mark it in a way that's fitting for John's World, which of course would be through music.  Black music has long been a big part of the overall culture of American music and also a big part of the soundtrack of my life.  R&B/Soul music not only made its way into my playlists on its own, but much of the music I enjoy is influenced by it, from dance and club songs to rap and hip hop and even a lot of pop songs.  

Throughout the month of February, I will be featuring songs from the annals of black music.  From really old school R&B to old school rap, hip hop, funk, reggae and more.  There is plenty to choose from and I'm sure there's enough here to whet your appetites, and I hope you enjoy.


First up is one of my favorite contemporary R&B artists, Angie Stone.  Angie first came on to the scene in 1999 with her soulful debut Black Diamond, and I first became acquainted with her through her first single, No More Rain in This Cloud, a serenely beautiful ballad that's full of sunshine.   I've been a fan ever since.  This one, from her 2002 sophomore set, Mahogany Soul, made it big in both the R&B world and the dance music world, where it worked really well as a dance floor anthem.  I Wish I Didn't Miss You is another one of those songs big on soul and with a great hook to boot.  Check it out: 

I can't eat, I can't sleep anymore 
Waiting for love to walk through the door 
I wish I didn't miss you anymore 






No comments:

Post a Comment