Thursday, April 4, 2013

Divas

diva - a celebrated female singer, a woman of outstanding talent in the world of opera, and by extension theater, cinema and popular music.

P.S. - An extravagant admiration for divas is a common element of camp culture.



We all know a few divas.  Though the term started out in the world of opera, these days it's more the second part of the above Wikipedia definition that gets our attention.  Further than that, though, the term 'diva' refers not only to a woman of remarkable talent, but one who is also a sort of bitchy, demanding princess.  In other words, a prima donna.

I'm a diva from head to toe 
And it's getting better everyday 
I dont cook, I dont wash dishes 
And I do not do windows 
cause I'm a uhhh diva 

I like shopping 
I hate going to the grocery store 
I hate washing clothes 
I like painting my nails 
It's excites me 

Club 69

Oh, and usually to be a diva one must also have at least a hint of glamour.  Throw all of these things together and the diva is especially popular among gay men.  We all just seem to love the spectacle of it all and almost every gay person I know has their own favorite diva.  


Here's a photo of my first and still dear-to-my-heart diva, Miss Diana Ross.  From her early days as a Supreme to the glamorous singer, movie star and all around entertainer she became in the 70', 80's and even 90's, Diana embodied the very ideal of what it means to be a diva.  

A diva is a female version of a hustla
Of a hustla
Of a of a hustla....

Beyonce

Yes, divas are anywhere and everywhere, and we've all got our favorites.  Some of the more traditional divas favored by my friends include the more traditional ones like Barbra Streisand, Liza Minelli, Marilyn Monroe (they don't all have to sing!), Cher, Donna Summer, Whitney Houston and more contemporaries like Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, Celine Dion, and the list goes on and on and on...


So come on, who's your favorite diva?

1 comment: