Monday, April 1, 2013

Nah, Americans Aren't Stupid!


Oh my God!  One of my students (from Turkey) showed me this video on YouTube earlier today and I just had to share it.  Though clearly this video was made a little while back, from myown point of view not much has changed since then.  One of my biggest problems with my fellow Americans is that many, far too many, seem to have this hubris, an idea that we are so much better than the rest of the world.  Yet, again, far too many of us don't know diddly!

"Name a country that starts with the letter 'U'?"

"Yugoslavia"....really?
"Utah"...holy crap!
"Utopia"...Okay, now I'm embarrassed.

"Who won the Vietnam War?"

"We did....wait (turning to her friend), were we in the Vietnam War?"

"What's the official religion of Israel?"

"Muslim"

"Who is Fidel Castro?"

"A singer"

It goes on and on and on...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment