Sunday, April 21, 2013

Queen: One of the Greatest Rock Bands Ever!


I remember hearing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody on the radio back in 1975.  I was around 10-11 years old at the time and I remember had absolutely no idea what the song was about, but I couldn't help singing along to it whenever it came on...

Is this the real life
Is this just fantasy...



Oh yeah, that song is classic!  So complex, many highs and lows, with a little bit of opera thrown in alongside those hard rocking guitar riffs.  Back then I didn't know much about music.  I was just beginning to be aware of it and in those early years I was a bona fide rock fan.  In the years since, my musical tastes have changed, but some of my rock favorites stayed with me throughout the years, like KISS, Aerosmith, Foreigner, and Queen.


The members of Queen included guitarist Brian May, bass player John Deacon, drummer Roger Taylor and the incomparable, flamboyant and energetic lead singer Freddie Mercury.  The foursome tore up the music scene in the 70's and 80's with such classics as the tender Somebody to Love, the Elvis-inspired Crazy Little Thing Called Love, the irresistibly bass-heavy collaboration with David Bowie on Under Pressure and so many more.  In all, the band has had 18 #1 albums and 18 #1 singles, making them one of the most successful rock bands of all time.


My very first Queen album, News of the World, was one of the hottest records of 1977-78 and it had one of the coolest covers of any record anytime.  The album spawned their anthem for all anthems, We Are the Champions, and the percussive chants of We Will Rock You.  That song still gives me goose bumps whenever I hear it.  Jazz came next and that one was another great album that included this ode to 'back' long before Sir Mix-a-Lot ever rapped about it.  Check out Fat Bottomed Girls:


  

Ooh yeah, what a great rocking song!  Sadly, around 1988 Freddie Mercury began to appear ill and speculation was that the singer was suffering from AIDS, which he flatly denied.  Unfortunately the rumor turned out to be true and Mercury passed away in November of 1991.  Though the band has had various incarnations and comebacks in the years that have passed since, the success of their earlier years with their lead singer were never matched.  Yet, the band Queen leaves a legacy to be enjoyed by all for years to come.  Here's one of my favorite Queen songs from 1975's A Night at the Opera.  So beautiful!






1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Queen! The very first song I hear was Another One Bites The Dust as a kid.
    I miss Freddie :(

    ReplyDelete