Thursday, April 12, 2012

Circus Wednesdays still a great time!


I wouldn’t ordinarily be posting a new memoir unless I was really inspired to do so, but last night I had the most surprisingly good time at Circus Wednesdays at Lizard Lounge.  Now I’ve written about the place before both on Examiner and here, but I don’t get to go too often due to having to get up so early during the week.  Since I’m on vacation this week, I opted to take a ride down and I’m glad I did!


For the longest time, I’ve been saying that Long Island gay nightlife has been abysmal, especially during the weeknights.  Last summer, though, I was introduced to Circus and I was pleasantly surprised, and in the time since then, things have picked up round these parts, which is really a good thing!  Choices are what it’s all about and they are much more plentiful nowadays than they had been, including Wednesday nights at Eagle, Thursdays at Bunk House, and so forth.

Anyway, back to last night…

When I got to Lizard, it was around 11PM, and the crowd was very decent for a Wednesday night.  After saying hey to my friend Ruby, I took a seat at the bar and took in the scene.  Within a few minutes, these two young girls came in.  They came up beside me and asked if they could grab a seat.  Within a few minutes we started talking.  Their names were Marianna and Laura, and this was their first time in a gay club.  They had always wanted to see what one was like and they came all the way from the Hamptons to give Circus a try.

We sat and talked for a long time before heading out to the dance floor for a few spins.  Soon enough, the show started and the three of us took our places right by the stage to watch.  I was especially excited to see this one because one of my acquaintances, Matthew, was performing as Saline Dijon.  I’ve known Matt for awhile now through the community and he’s a really great, fun dude with one helluva voice!  He’d only been performing in drag for a few weeks and he was on last night.

Let me tell you, I had a smile on my face the whole time as Matthew belted out Celine.  He’s different as a drag performer because he actually sang along to the songs rather than lip sync, and he got a really nice response from the crowd.  In fact, the whole show was very entertaining and when it was done, the crowd stayed, for the most part.  This is something I hadn’t experienced before, as usually the patrons disperse quickly after the show.

Marianna, Laura and I continued to dance and have a good time and I met this really nice, adorable guy, Tony, with a killer smile.  Finally, the time had come to leave, but it was probably the latest I’d ever stayed at Circus.  Here’s to new friends!  So if you live on Long Island and you’re looking for a nice place, with a nice crowd and a fun atmosphere, then check out Circus!  


Love and Pride

No comments:

Post a Comment